Backup lights wiring ????

• Sponsors (?)

the tranny uses a neutral safety switch/backup light switch. its one unit that does both and mounts on the gear selector on the transmission. from there there are 4 wires. 2 for the nss and 2 for the backup lights. the plug into dual plugs that come out of the firewall around the brake master cylinder. its very easy, everything is color coded red and black. without more information, this is the best i can do for you. i installed an aftermarket hurst shifter in my car and had to bypass the nss and basically extended the wires up into the shifter to make the connections, but the principle is exactly the same.

84convertablegt said:
the tranny uses a neutral safety switch/backup light switch. its one unit that does both and mounts on the gear selector on the transmission. from there there are 4 wires. 2 for the nss and 2 for the backup lights. the plug into dual plugs that come out of the firewall around the brake master cylinder. its very easy, everything is color coded red and black. without more information, this is the best i can do for you. i installed an aftermarket hurst shifter in my car and had to bypass the nss and basically extended the wires up into the shifter to make the connections, but the principle is exactly the same.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Now another question. I looked up the neutral safety switches and it seems there's a difference in which one to use. I purchased a rebuilt C4 from an auto parts store... I assume I need to get the NSS for a 66 so it will work with my existing harness.

66moneypit said:
That's exactly what I needed to know. Now another question. I looked up the neutral safety switches and it seems there's a difference in which one to use. I purchased a rebuilt C4 from an auto parts store... I assume I need to get the NSS for a 66 so it will work with my existing harness.

I've got an extra nss for a c4 if ya want it, it's barnd new in the box

66moneypit said:
Yes, maybe someone else can step in here, but i believe there were some differences in c4's throughout the years that could make this an issue. all i know is that when i changed out my c4 in my 65, i could not use the nss on the new tranny. it wouldnt fit. i purchased a 70+ c4 with the 26 spline input shaft. i dont know which one you have. and im not sure if my issue was just a quick oversight or mistake on my part or whatever. i believe it had something to do with the fact i was using an aftermarket hurst shifter instead of the factory one, its hard to remember since it was a while ago. but in my case, the new shifter came with the switches built into the shifter instead of the on the tranny type of deal. i would buy one for a 66 and see if it works. it should, but this is where my experience ends. like i said, i had different circumstances

84convertablegt said:
Yes, maybe someone else can step in here, but i believe there were some differences in c4's throughout the years that could make this an issue. all i know is that when i changed out my c4 in my 65, i could not use the nss on the new tranny. it wouldnt fit. i purchased a 70+ c4 with the 26 spline input shaft. i dont know which one you have. and im not sure if my issue was just a quick oversight or mistake on my part or whatever. i believe it had something to do with the fact i was using an aftermarket hurst shifter instead of the factory one, its hard to remember since it was a while ago. but in my case, the new shifter came with the switches built into the shifter instead of the on the tranny type of deal. i would buy one for a 66 and see if it works. it should, but this is where my experience ends. like i said, i had different circumstances

That's exactly what I am going to do. Let's see how it goes. I already bought the switch, just have to get time to put it in.