• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Banging sound from rear of car

  • Thread starter Thread starter red95gtconvert
  • Start date Start date Sep 11, 2007
R

red95gtconvert

New Member
May 29, 2006
382
0
0
Ponca city, OK
Sep 11, 2007
#1
  • Sep 11, 2007
  • #1
Hello folks, my car has been giving me a little problem lately. My car has the AODE transmission FYI. Anyhow every once in a while when I am at a stoplight I will get one bang that is coming from the rear of the car, any ideas?
 

Bosko5.0

Active Member
May 18, 2006
1,067
0
37
longwood, FL
Sep 12, 2007
#2
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #2
check to see if swaybar is broken or loose, also check exhuast, or possible axle bushings.
 

Stanger007

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2001
2,015
2
46
Baton Rouge, LA
Sep 12, 2007
#3
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #3
Possibly exhaust hitting the GAS TANK - has happened to me.
 
S

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
991
1
0
Philly
Sep 12, 2007
#4
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #4
Just happened to me and it was a broken swaybar. Just stick your hand under there and try to give it a tug on both sides.
 

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,133
18
108
Chicagoland
Sep 12, 2007
#5
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #5
Check your swaybar, control arm bushings, torque boxes, and tailpipes for interference with anything. There's not much else it could be unless a tank strap is loose.
 
R

red95gtconvert

New Member
May 29, 2006
382
0
0
Ponca city, OK
Sep 12, 2007
#6
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #6
Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check all of that out.
 
M

mojopony

New Member
Sep 9, 2007
71
1
0
Sep 12, 2007
#7
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #7
I'm getting some banging sounds from underneath my car. Sounds like a little elf is under the car banging on the floorpan with a hammer. I thought it might be a broken motor or trans mount or even the exhaust system, but its not. I have to bring it in to someone with a lift. I can't tell what it is from just crawling under the car in the driveway.
 
R

red95gtconvert

New Member
May 29, 2006
382
0
0
Ponca city, OK
Sep 12, 2007
#8
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #8
mojopony said:
I'm getting some banging sounds from underneath my car. Sounds like a little elf is under the car banging on the floorpan with a hammer. I thought it might be a broken motor or trans mount or even the exhaust system, but its not. I have to bring it in to someone with a lift. I can't tell what it is from just crawling under the car in the driveway.
Click to expand...



That is what my car is doing but it is completley random and only does one bang at a stoplight once in a while, then it won't do it again for a few days I took the cover off the rear differential today and everything checked out okay
 

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
1,944
54
79
Vernon BC
Sep 12, 2007
#9
  • Sep 12, 2007
  • #9
red95gtconvert said:
Hello folks, my car has been giving me a little problem lately. My car has the AODE transmission FYI. Anyhow every once in a while when I am at a stoplight I will get one bang that is coming from the rear of the car, any ideas?
Click to expand...

I would look at those parts that are subject to torque on braking. The "bang" is likely the release of the part when you ease off the brakes. Check springs, sway bar, shocks, control arms and bushings of these parts.

You did add friction modifier when you refilled the diff today didn't you.
 
R

red95gtconvert

New Member
May 29, 2006
382
0
0
Ponca city, OK
Sep 13, 2007
#10
  • Sep 13, 2007
  • #10
I added the 4 oz. bottle of friction modifer when I refilled it, the rear end is good to go. The single bang I hear is only once in a while and when I am still on the brakes at a red light. Thanks for al the input so far, keep the ideas coming.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Clicking sound from driveshaft/rear differential
  • matthewt
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
2
Views
146
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Aug 28, 2026
matthewt
D
Yet another v8 swap
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 19, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
71
Views
1K
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Tuesday at 1:04 AM
LILCBRA
Front Coil Overs and Rear Traditional Springs within a Maximum Motorsports K-Member Kit
  • Habu135
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
639
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Habu135
A
P0036 P0056 P0137 P0157 2020 Ford Mustang GT
  • AmkoA
  • Jun 16, 2026
  • 2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
0
Views
238
2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk Jun 16, 2026
AmkoA
A
8
87 lx 4cyl to v8 project 4 lug disc conversion questions
  • 87lx428
  • Mar 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
566
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 25, 2026
87lx428
8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?