battery/alternator problem?! please help

jons88gt

Mar 21, 2006
I bought my 88 gt a couple weeks ago. it had been sitting for about 3 years prior to me taking it out of my friends garage. we charged the battery and it started up great. I noticed since i bought it the volt guage was never very high, never even at the half way mark. but it always started up right away. I had a cd player installed and for whatever reason after i took it home and turned it off, it wouldnt start up again. jumped it and worked fine, drove it for 20min, turned it off, wouldnt turn back on. it did turn over after wiggling the battery terminals. but then nothing. the terminals are god knows what color to begin with. nut and bolt are rusted as well. threw a new battery in and starts great, but the volt guage still isnt even half way up the scale.
so my question is do i have a battery terminal problem, alternator problem, or something else? all your help is much appreciated.

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

I would go over all the things that were touched while doing the stereo install, and all the battery connections, fuses, links, etc. It might be worthwhile to remove the alt and have it bench tested.

Good luck.