Battery - Dead, dead, dead...

mayner

Oct 3, 2010
Ventura, CA
Noticed a very slight pause when starting up the past few days. When I say very slight, I mean it. Someone not familiar with the cr probably wouldn't have even noticed it. Got to work yesterday, parked, and sat in the car for 5 minutes getting my stuff together. After a few minutes, the accessories switched off as they do. I turned the ignition switch back on to roll up the window and... Nothing. Absolutely dead. No starter, no clicking... Nothing. Got out, unscrewed the little cap on the device that hangs off the battery (can't remember it's official name) and depressed the button. Tried the door locks from the key fob and they worked. Got back in and turned on the ignition and the dash lit up as normal. Hmmm... Rolled up the window and for ****s and giggles tried to start her. Click-click-click.... Damn...

Long story short, a friend had one of those emergency starter devices and it worked when it was time to go home. Got the car home (50 mile commute), pulled into the driveway, shut her off and re-started her. Worked but the starter sounded "off". Would not start this morning so went and got a new battery, slapped it in and, so far, all is well.

Question: Has anyone else had a battery go bad so quickly?

Normal use, I rarely sit in the car with anything on. Other than the iPhone charger, I don't power anything. No GPS or Radar Detector. Going by the gauge the battery is receiving a charge while the car is runnin. I did notice though that the gauge was in a normal position even though I know thebattery was not, so, I guess the guage indicates charge state rather than the state of the batteries charge? Like I said, hmmm.

• Sponsors (?)

I turned the ignition switch back on to roll up the window and... Nothing. Absolutely dead. No starter, no clicking... Nothing. Got out, unscrewed the little cap on the device that hangs off the battery (can't remember it's official name) and depressed the button. Tried the door locks from the key fob and they worked. Got back in and turned on the ignition and the dash lit up as normal.

Hey mayner,

Hmm is right! Not sure why the battery died so soon, but go ahead and bring it to your dealer so they can check it out, since you should be in warranty. I'm here if you need a little extra help. :)

~Natasha

I had the same problem with my stang. Car had not been driven regularly for a few weeks but then drove fine for two week of regular driving, no problem. Then one day I drove 30 miles and parked for 2 hours. When I returned and tried to start the car, nothing, not a click or a pop. After checking and adjusting battery cables I got some electrical activity but nothing capable of running anything. Dealer replaced the battery and no problems since. Apparently some of the factory supplied batteries seem to have sat to long and deep discharged to the point of damage. Your dealer should replace the battery under warranty.