Battery in the trunk, need cable routing ideas.

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
A few years ago I mounted my battery in the trunk, but I'm not happy anymore with how I have my cable to the solenoid routed. My solenoid is still in the stock location.

Does anyone happen to have pics of how you routed your cable under the car?? I think I know how I'm going to re-route it, but I want to see some others to get some ideas.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have mine going from the cut-off switch up through the quarter panel drain. It runs inside the quarter panel and through the door sill plate. It exits is the car behind the kick panel and through a small hole in the floor right above the inner frame rail. It comes up along side the shock tower to the solenoid.

Place it behind quarter panel (passenger side), then route it under the trim (same as stock wiring on driver side), kick panel, then route it inside the engine bay. Or inside the fender and enter the engine bay from right under the solenoid

I don't like the idea of running the cable in such a vulnerable location. Mine was there originally,but moved it under the carpet near the tunnel. A side impact is almost certainly going to cause a short to the battery cable. I would not want it close to the fuel line either.

a trick

A trick I used was to go with a 94 Mustang starter with solinoid on the starter. My cable goes under car wrapped to the sub frame connector straight to the starter. Less cable and clean.

Heres mine, using 2/0 welding machine wire, only one hole drilled at the splash shield.

Start at trunk:

picture.php?pictureid=10774&albumid=240&dl=1267908271&thumb=1

Thru my rear seat divider"

picture.php?pictureid=10775&albumid=240&dl=1267908271&thumb=1

Under the sill plate:

picture.php?pictureid=10776&albumid=240&dl=1267908271&thumb=1

Thru the splash guard:
picture.php?pictureid=10777&albumid=240&dl=1267908476&thumb=1

Thru inner fender:
picture.php?pictureid=10778&albumid=240&dl=1267908476&thumb=1

Up to the solenoid:

picture.php?pictureid=10779&albumid=240&dl=1267908476&thumb=1

I don't like the idea of running the cable in such a vulnerable location. Mine was there originally,but moved it under the carpet near the tunnel. A side impact is almost certainly going to cause a short to the battery cable. I would not want it close to the fuel line either.

I dont care where you run it (I would however run it inside along the sill) but I would ensure I had a resettable 300amp breaker in the trunk. These run about 30bucks and every car I have done a remote battery on has had one. Its the only SAFE way to run a battery cable to a front mounted selonoid.

The better option is to relocate your selenoid to the back and eliminate the concern all together.
You can easily pick up the ignition leads from under the drivers side dash and run them back along the sill plate.