Battery light comes on when accelerating

miksax

Jul 5, 2005
I just noticed this last time out: When accelerating and the RPMs get above 3,000 the battery light comes on and the amp gauge dips a little bit.

There doesn't seem to be any loss of power and this is not something that I have noticed before. The battery is maybe 14 months old and the alternator is maybe 2 years old or younger.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

+1

Same thing happened to me. Check condition of the belt and tensioner. Also look for any fluid leaks that might spray on the belt. I had a leak in one of my coolant hoses (water pump to heater rail) cause this exact same problem.

Good info. The belt was changed last summer and I'm not sure what I'm looking for on the tensioner. Is there any way to check if the belt is slipping beyond that snasty squeal that you hear on some cars?

thanks

Look at the tensioner wear indicators (it's there to tell you if your belt is stretching).

If you have another belt (like an old belt you keep in the trunk as a spare), I'd put it on and see if the issue continues.

The checking for fluids dripping on the belt is an excellent suggestion.

Good info. The belt was changed last summer and I'm not sure what I'm looking for on the tensioner. Is there any way to check if the belt is slipping beyond that snasty squeal that you hear on some cars?

thanks

Glad you get it fixed..BTW Don't laugh at those Mustangs with the nasty squeal under the hood. :) Some of them could clean our clock.