battery light on sometimes???

cpldee

Dec 5, 2007
paducah ky
Can anybody give some advise? I can start my car in the morning,everything is good. However,when I shut it off,say to go in the store,crank it to go home the battery light stays on. The alt. gauge shows a charge but the light is on. Let it sit til the next day or a few hrs. and it's good as new. Also,if I don't drive it for 3-5 days I have to put a charger on itbecause the batt. is dead. Just bought a new batt.so I'm thinking a relay might be sticking....???? Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm I would say take the battery and car to like Autozone. They will do a free charging system check. I personaly dont think it's the batt but I could be wrong. Sounds more like you have a bad diode in the alternator. It works good cold and charges, but when you warm it up it "sticks" in the open mode then discharges the battery.

I had this exact problem and then the light started coming on more frequently, until eventually it just stayed on. Car's electronics died and ended up being the alternator of course. Its not too hard to remove the alternator on these cars, so i suggest taking it to an auto parts place and having them check it out for you.

it definitely doesn't sound like its your battery... a relay or a diode inside the alternator makes the most sense. get the alt checked at pepboys or autozone. maybe a good excuse to upgrade the alternator

Thanks for your responses and advise ppl. I'm leaning toward a diod. I did have autozone check it a month ago and it checked good,so I bought a new battery...... Guess it's process of elimination, has to be alternator afterall.