Electrical Battery Quick Disconnect use

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
@jrichker and Other EEC IV gurus,
Is there a downside to or possible damage from disconnecting the battery In a 1991 Mustang for storage or possible extended parking? I know 1. Any codes are lost/re-set, and 2. It runs rough for a bit while the computer relearns the modifications. Is there any other reason to not protect my car from an electrical fire when stored?

I have done this with quality quick disconnects in my pre-computer cars, and it has extended battery life and avoided dead batteries in the spring. Since I am tired of doing this with a short crescent wrench and pulling the positive cable, I will install a disconnect if there is room And If you give the OK
Thanks!.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I've had my battery relocated and a switch in the corner of the license plate for 20 years.
Used it pretty much forever with every engine setup I've ever owned.

People always say that the car needs to relearn, but honestly I don't buy into it.
I've never had a single adverse result from using it.

I habitually shut off my car (for the most part fear of the lighted mirrors or interior lights staying on due to faulty switches).
Only thing that has ever come out of it is batteries that last 8 years...
You could even say it's another minor form of security, since the car thief will not only need to know how to drive a stick, but also how to power up the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Two battery killers are heat and total discharge. Daily drivers endure many heat cycles, a garage queen does not, my 1953 brand x garage queen has a six volt battery, the last one was like 6 years old and was maintained with a tender, was not even started or driven for 3 years straight and still started up.

When folks were first figuring out what to do with OBD1 computers in vehicles, I read an article in a trade magazine that said the negative cable should be removed first and why. Then I read elsewhere it should be the positive cable and why. Both writers thought computer damage would happen if it was done in the wrong order. And at least one thought jump starting a computerized car was a bad idea compared to a trickle charge. They both should have been reliable sources. It was long before clickbait articles.

My theory-,Except for the aging capacitors, the EEC IV computer doesn’t seem very fragile.
And as far a jump starting a car, any spike to the electrical system should be dampened by both batteries, and the car with the dead battery will have only a little exposure if the key is off.

Is there a downside to or possible damage from disconnecting the battery In a 1991 Mustang for storage or possible extended parking? I know 1. Any codes are lost/re-set, and 2. It runs rough for a bit while the computer relearns the modifications. Is there any other reason to not protect my car from an electrical fire when stored?

I have done this with quality quick disconnects in my pre-computer cars, and it has extended battery life and avoided dead batteries in the spring. Since I am tired of doing this with a short crescent wrench and pulling the positive cable, I will install a disconnect if there is room And If you give the OK
Thanks!.

Assuming you have power available, put a Battery Tender on it.

@General karthief I was trying to discuss and confirm if a battery disconnect had any downsides or not. Sorry if my brainstorm lost you! And six years is impressive for a six volt battery. For a while, I think they would die just on the shelf at Napa. I have heard the ones at Tractor Supply are better than old design six volt batteries used to be.

@Willybill32 power is an issue at one storage space. At another, 30 Year old wiring, heat, wear and mice in the neighborhood make more me more comfortable with my new Battery Tender on a disconnected battery. I recently saw a beautifully restored car in a different group that had an unexplained engine bay fire while in storage. That fire cooked half the car before it was pulled out of the storage unit and the fire extinguished. Apparently it actually was not safe at any speed.

Last edited:

Thanks!.
No, but I prefer a battery maintainer connected to the battery while the battery is still connected to the vehicle. Jay Leno has over 150 cars & leaves the battery in all of them with a Ctek battery maintainer on each of them.

No, but I prefer a battery maintainer connected to the battery while the battery is still connected to the vehicle. Jay Leno has over 150 cars & leaves the battery in all of them with a Ctek battery maintainer on each of them.
(Joke) Jay Leno does not have to worry as much about frayed wires. Californian mice and rats know to avoid everything that might cause cancer, including wire insulation.
He also has a better mechanic on staff than I do for my herd of cars.

Last edited:
  • Happy
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users