BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go with the accufab, you probably have to cut the manifold to remove the middle section where the throttle body meets the manifold but from seeing the BBK and accufab and having the accufab with the WMS, it makes a big difference in throttle response and seems like it'll suck a lot more air in. you may not feel a big gain, but for me the change in the gas pedal response was worth it.

missouri_guy197 said:
Unless you are blown, or have a ported intake and heads you aren't going to gain anything from going to a bigger throttle body...waste of money for an N/A basic bolton car...

I'm thinking of getting a 65mm BBK TB for my Cobra. It has the following mods:

305 cubic inch Big Bore 281 (3.55 to 3.70 inch bore) (block machined by Modular Performance)
Fox Lake (Stage II) ported stock heads (valve job included)
Diamond 10.5.1 compression aluminum forged pistons
Eagle H-beam forged connecting rods
FR500 valvetrain kit (cam specs: 204/214 duration .472 lift @.050)
Engine balanced & blueprinted (built by Hensler Racing in Columbus Ohio)
SHM Billet oil pump gears
Hand ported stock intake
ASP pullies
WMS cold air intake with 95mm MAF

Do you think the TB would benefit me? I'm thinking to doing this in conjunction with an Extrude hone...

Also, the BBK TB's are CARB approved, while the Accufab units currently are not. I don't know if that will make any difference to you in your decision (it wouldn't for me) but who knows. :shrug:

lafear01 said:
I'm thinking of getting a 65mm BBK TB for my Cobra. It has the following mods:

305 cubic inch Big Bore 281 (3.55 to 3.70 inch bore) (block machined by Modular Performance)
Fox Lake (Stage II) ported stock heads (valve job included)
Diamond 10.5.1 compression aluminum forged pistons
Eagle H-beam forged connecting rods
FR500 valvetrain kit (cam specs: 204/214 duration .472 lift @.050)
Engine balanced & blueprinted (built by Hensler Racing in Columbus Ohio)
SHM Billet oil pump gears
Hand ported stock intake
ASP pullies
WMS cold air intake with 95mm MAF

Do you think the TB would benefit me? I'm thinking to doing this in conjunction with an Extrude hone...
If I were you I'd get the Accufab elliptical throttle body, not the BBK...the Accufab ellipticals have seemed to give the best results on higher flowing engines such as yours...

The way the upper lid has to be modified to accept an accufab, on a 99-01 cobra, the idle air bypass circuit gets eliminated, and now you have no computer controlled idle. You can externally plumb up a bypass circuit, but thats pretty hack. The BBK can work if you're willing to do some work on it. The throttle blades stick shut under vacuum. It causes you to launch at every stop light and gets really annoying. You have to radius the bore edges, and spray some tool makers dye into the bores with the throttle blades open. Then you open and close the blades and check out the marks they leave. Make sure the idle speed screw is completely backed out, and then you file/sand away at the marks left by the blades, until the sticking of the throttle blades in the bores goes away. It takes awhile, and is a PITA. Now, once youve gotten the sticking problem to go away, now you have throttle blades that suck open under vacuum, and the motor idles at like 2500rpm. Now you need to buy a slightly heavier extension spring (return spring). Now from the heavier spring, now your throttle blades get stuck again. Repeat the sanding/filing procedure. It took a long ass time to get it right with my application, but it was well worth it when it was combined with my short runner intake. Throttle response was great and the car ran very strong. Definetely felt stronger than the stock TB did when combined with the short runner. On the stock intake, the BBK was worthless. It made no difference.