Bearings Look Bad? Advice :(

He was probably talking about the holes in the crank that feeds the bearings, they get the sharp edges filed down in the direction the crank spins, champhered or something like that, anyway it makes it oil the bearings better. Someone here can explain it better.
I would start out with a stock cam, you can always up grade later, alphabet cams are old tech, better stuff on the market now.

• Sponsors (?)

Oil *GALLEYS.. the passages thru the crank that are pressurized with oil and feed it from the mains to the rod journals.. also found in the block.

But one piece bearings? Laser welded?:O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
So apparently their like clevit, clevit used to use them a while back I think the name began with D. Anyway he said they make them in the factory by using high energy electric welds which they call laser welds which prevents them from coming apart.

Bad news is there is a significant ridge so I got burned with the junk yard motor... might be ok to rebuild, hes going to boil and measure it tomorrow. If not, it might be the end of the project. and rebuilding the heads will be a ridiculous 600+ so i don't know what I will do for heads even if i got the bottom end done because it seems restarted to spend $600 for stock gt40p iron heads..
Bummer...

What? 600$ to rebuild the heads huh....

Gold wallpaper in his office?

While on the high side, that's not too far off. I had a little over $400 in mine, and that wasn't counting the 18 hours I put into porting them.

-cleaning
-milling
-cut spring perches for dual Springs
-valve job
-Springs, seals, retainers
-I had my bowls machined open at shop prior porting
-another cleaning
-final assembly

It adds up. I didn't need any valves replaced, guides replaced or seats replaced, so factor those possibilities in too.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The most I've ever spent on machine work for heads was 300. Provide your own springs and hardware and save some money. Most of those guys will give you a 10%-20% markup over retail.

OR, if your cam isn't too radical, have the pressures checked on your old springs and reuse them if that isn't out of spec.

Reactions: 1 users
Update*
Good news for a change, "It cleaned up, it's not pretty but it cleaned up, wont need to bore it out, still have to hit it with some sand paper and work but it cleaned up"
Whew.
So now that that bullet is out of the way I can start trying to think about what I need to do for heads. I could bring them to another shop, that S&K while top notch is also top price.
I think I will make anew post for heads, I have some ideas I would like to see what people think.