Bellhousing bolt size?

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
I need to mount this 4.6 shortblock to my engine stand and need to know what size the bolts are. I guess length isn't important (that's what she said) but thread size is. I got this motor w/o the tranny so I have no idea. I really don't want to pull a bolt out of my '03 just to find out. Thanks!!

So I go into the Home Depot and ask the "bolt aisle" guy for an M10 approx. 3 to 3-1/4 inches long. He gives me 4 10mm-1 25x80mm bolts. The 80mm is right at 3-1/4 inches. I just got home with them and they will not thread into the back of the block. They are either too thick or the thread pitch is off. What's the deal?

The diameter is spot on I believe. Matter of fact at first I thought that the threads in the block were probably just dirty. I threaded in about a half turn and the used the socket on it, very gently I might add, and I just could not make it thread through. When I pulled out the bolt after my last attempt, a tiny chunk was missing from the bolt. I checked the block to see if I had messed it up, but fortunately the bolt gave before the block. I got steel/zinc plated bolts.

Block bolt M10x1.5

Just pulled the tap that I have used multiple times to chase threads in a modular block. It is a M10 by 1.5.

I compared it to a M10x1.25 and the difference in thread pitch is not obvious as it would be with an SAE bolt. However, when the pitch is compared directly to each other, there is a difference.

Sorry about that. I knew off the top of my head the bolt was an M10. What I couldn't remember was the pitch. Hence the reason I left it off.

Reactions: 1 user