Belt tensioner pulley Help?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
On my car 98 GT i have an aftermarket hood so the diagram of the belt routing is gone anyone have a picture of how it goes..ALSO how do you take the pulley off the tensioner for the belt mine is shot making tons of noise.. I want to replace that bearing anyone know how to get to it? It seems in a hard place the one above that i replaced that was easy....Any help would be great thanks:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The tensioner pulley and the idler pulley just above it (IIRC) are the same pulley. You have to take the tensioner assembly off in order to take the tensioner pulley off. I think it's like three bolts, and it's not hard to do. I replaced the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and belt in like 30 minutes. Shouldn't be hard at all. And there's pretty much no way to screw it up.

Ok, from memory, the belt goes like this: start at the alternator, go down and to the right to around the PS pump clockwise, back up and to the left and around the water pump pulley counter-clockwise, back down and to the right around the crankshaft clockwise, up and to the left to the tensioner counter-clockwise, down and to the left around the AC clockwise, up and to the right to under the idler pulley, then on upwards back to the alternator. If any of that makes sense. :)

I'm sure someone will chime in with a diagram soon. I just don't have one on hand.

The tensioner pulley and the idler pulley just above it (IIRC) are the same pulley. You have to take the tensioner assembly off in order to take the tensioner pulley off. I think it's like three bolts, and it's not hard to do. I replaced the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and belt in like 30 minutes. Shouldn't be hard at all. And there's pretty much no way to screw it up.

Ok, from memory, the belt goes like this: start at the alternator, go down and to the right to around the PS pump clockwise, back up and to the left and around the water pump pulley counter-clockwise, back down and to the right around the crankshaft clockwise, up and to the left to the tensioner counter-clockwise, down and to the left around the AC clockwise, up and to the right to under the idler pulley, then on upwards back to the alternator. If any of that makes sense. :)

I'm sure someone will chime in with a diagram soon. I just don't have one on hand.

Yeah, that sounds right to me.

belt.gif

My '96 is routed like the diagrams I posted - only 2 idlers and the belt goes from the P/S pump to the water pump then the crank. '97 & '98 should be the same although the odd differences in the 98 NPI motors sometimes surprise me.