Best exhaust for a 2002 GT???

Ok,
so now i am starting to shop around for exhuast systems and thought i'de take a trip here and ask ya'll... what have you installed on your stang's???

I have heard a lot about the SLP systems, but some say they are over rated, is this true???

i know ya'll are going to ask, what do i want as far as exhaust goes.. well i want something that just sounds down right mean as h#ll sounding while idling.. then when i hit the gas, i want everyone for two block to know what's screaming down the street.. i want it to be nasty....

I had a shop give me an offer for 1,400 for full custom exhaust, it included from headers back. It was going to have Magna Flow straight catts and Magna flow straight mufflers... is this a good price??? and is it going to be as nasty and mean as i want it to be???

please give me some feedback..

military_stang

• Sponsors (?)

you could buy headers, a mid pipe and a cat back for taht price!!!!
if you want it downright LOUD get an O/R x pipe and a SLP loud mouth 1 cat back. it will be VERY VERY loud. i am about to buy a slp cat back but i already have the LM 2's so if it is too loud i can swap out the mufflers.

military_stang said:
I had a shop give me an offer for 1,400 for full custom exhaust, it included from headers back. It was going to have Magna Flow straight catts and Magna flow straight mufflers... is this a good price??? and is it going to be as nasty and mean as i want it to be???

I have yet to see a shop-welded exhaust that looked good. A lot of my friends have had complete exhausts or cat-backs done and they honestly looked like crap or were bent in such a way that rubbed. Not to mention it's all welded solid, so if you ever need to drop the trans you'll ave to take a sawzall to it. :(

For cheaper you could buy components yourself and install them. The stock manifolds are pretty damn good so you could easily buy a mid-pipe and cat-back and install them in an afternoon and come out paying half as much as that shop wants.

hell you could prob buy long tube headers, a mid pipe and cat-back and still be cheaper than $1400.

WHat sounds best is up to you. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and many passionate debates have erupted from what is the "best".

sound like you want something loud...
I say SLP O/R X with SLP LM. 'bout loudest exhaust set up there is for our car

I would not go with so called "shop custom" set up, unless you have to.
just because like 5L5 said above, not many shop have mafrel bending machine, bend is usualy horrible, no engineering goes in to those set up. fit and finish is usualy sub par, and many times, they rub power rather then gain any.
Not to mension for the price you got quoted, you could do full exhaust set up(header to carback), and prolly gain solid 20hp

Sweet stuff.. thank you..

I'd seen the shop's quality, and he did a damn god job on some other cars and trucks.. plus he garunteed his works satisfaction.. but seeing as i can get much more for that amount, i will not be going with the custom exhaust.. i'll prolly be going with SLP... thank's ya'll..

military_stang
:flag:

Why go loud when you have nothing to back it up? I used to run across so many Mustang drivers that had the crazy loudest exhaust they could find and they would try to run me in my old LS1. That goes for Douche's in Civics too. I guess the shear loud annoyance of their exhaust gave them a false sense of cool.

Lame.

I've heard Bassani is mean as hell. Mac o/r prochamber and cat-back was pretty damn loud and in my opinion it was mean as hell. More of a rumbly muscle car sound. I could turn the corner, with the windows down, and punch it while flying past a line of cars coming the other way and the damn sound would just echo back at me, and I'd just be grinning cuz I could only imagine what they were listening to. Could be heard about a 1/2 mile away, and could feel the rumble a couple blocks away too, would set off car alarms. Good thing too...it was pretty cheap.

Susky said:
I just put on the Bassani catted X and catback. It's not as loud as I thought it would be a WOT, and there is a definite resonance around 2K RPM. Still sounds good, though.
Take those cats off and if it ain't loud enough at that point, then just do what i'll be doing and buy their race mufflers that are coming out really soon and combine them with some LT's, O/R X, and Stage 1 cams :D

go long tube or dont bother. the shortys dony make power gains worth the PITB to install them. im running stock manifolds, OR X, Flowmaster 40 series. its a little well not raspy or twangy but it sounds a little different compared to an OR H. I dont regret it. its loud but if i need to i can creep through a neighborhood at 2am.

HoustonGT said:
Take those cats off and if it ain't loud enough at that point, then just do what i'll be doing and buy their race mufflers that are coming out really soon and combine them with some LT's, O/R X, and Stage 1 cams :D

Meh...for my purposes, it's loud enough, especially at slower speed. It's just not as screamy as I thought it would be at WOT. But I can live with it. ;)

Besides, I just bought the friggin' cats. :D

Susky said:
Meh...for my purposes, it's loud enough, especially at slower speed. It's just not as screamy as I thought it would be at WOT. But I can live with it. ;)

Besides, I just bought the friggin' cats. :D
Have you had someone drive away at WOT while you stood there and listened? I noticed that with the Bassani its ALOT quieter in the car than it really is on the outside to everyone else. I was pissed at how quiet it was until i let someone drive away as i stood and listened....LOUD music to my ears and good to know i could still have a nice conversation in the car or listen to my music