Blargh! Exhaust leaks!

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
I knew my Cobra had a couple of exhaust leaks at the X pipe. So when I was at my parents house for TG I put it on my Dad's lift and poked around, sure enough, there are a couple of leaks at the X pipe. I think the slip joints on the Hooker long tubes are leaking too, I couldn't see any of the black marks that you get where it is leaking, so I think it might be on the inside of the primaries where you can't see.

I got to fully inspect the whole system while it was up there too. The PO told me that the shop that installed the catback didn't do a good job, but holy cow he wasn't kidding. I should have taken pictures, the pipes leading into the Magaflows are smaller then the inlet (think 1 7/8 into 2 1/4), so they filled up the gap with welds, and then they welded hangers in a few positions on the stainless mufflers and burned the finish pretty bad. What a bunch of hacks. :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

...the shop that installed the catback didn't do a good job, but holy cow he wasn't kidding. I should have taken pictures, the pipes leading into the Magaflows are smaller then the inlet (think 1 7/8 into 2 1/4), so they filled up the gap with welds, and then they welded hangers in a few positions on the stainless mufflers and burned the finish pretty bad. What a bunch of hacks. :notnice:

I'm trying to imagine a catback that has mixed pipe sizes and needs hangers welded onto the mufflers...?

Yeah, sounds like someone made a mess. Exhaust issues can really be frustrating.

Yeah, they sit real low and drag on stuff all the time, and I can hear it banging around on the bottom of the car when I go around corners. Pretty much everything you don't want in an exhaust install I have. lol

I had a shop adapt a set of shorties to my regular exhaust a few years ago when I swapped a big block into my Dodge and it was so hacked looking. I had less then two inches of ground clearance in a car that wasn't lowered. It was so stupid.

After I had my FLSFC's installed my flowpath catback would bang against the SFC's everytime I'd turn right... got annoying real quick. Anyways, I put her up on stands and loosened up all of the joints, moved the mufflers where they wouldn't contact the frame anymore, and viola... noise gone :banana:

My advice, buy a new magnaflow catback and sell those mufflers to someone to make up some of the difference :nice: