• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Borla exhaust tip discrepancy

  • Thread starter Thread starter 95GTV8
  • Start date Start date Nov 10, 2006

95GTV8

New Member
Jul 25, 2005
386
3
0
Washington State
Nov 10, 2006
#1
  • Nov 10, 2006
  • #1
I recently just finished installing a borla catback system on my car. The install was fairly straightforward except the driver side tip hangs out about 2" more than the passenger side tip. I'm wondering if anybody has had this problem before or if anybody has any remedies.
 

95GTV8

New Member
Jul 25, 2005
386
3
0
Washington State
Nov 11, 2006
#2
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #2
anybody know? I got everything else installed just would like the tips to be flush.
 
D

Daggar

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
3,902
5
0
Nov 11, 2006
#3
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #3
Don't mean to sound like an ass but...

It's a mechanical thing that you can see and lay first hand eyes on.

I don't see how we'd be able to offer you better advise than someone who's standing right next to your car and looking at it (you).

Look the whole thing over and see if there's something in the way or if the two sides were cut different lengths or whatever.
 

LtDavis

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 19, 2004
75
2
19
Raleigh, NC
Nov 11, 2006
#4
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #4
when I was installing my h-pipe, the first time I hung it up one pipe didn't fit (this is the 3 piece Mac design) I took it down and tried again and everything fit great. I would suggest doing that, if its a simple misalignment like I had it will be easy to fix.
 

95GTV8

New Member
Jul 25, 2005
386
3
0
Washington State
Nov 11, 2006
#5
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #5
well, thats the thing. I've adjusted everything I can. I've snugged it up to the H-pipe as much as i can and i've fiddled with the adjusting the lengths the male/female parts go in around the rear axel. Is it possible to hit the pipe with a rubber mallet to push it out a few inches? I tried hitting it and it wouldn't budge.

Edit: LTDavis
Thing is, their isn't much room for error when installing the catback because they are pretty stiffly connected to the car via rubber exhaust hangers. I'm pretty confident the catback is installed correctly, everything looks symetrical from underneath the car, maybe if i can just push the pipe out a bit.
 

z2o_what

Member
Mar 31, 2005
309
1
19
princeton, WV
Nov 11, 2006
#6
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #6
your engine is crooked

j/k

assuming the tailpipes are clamped to the mufflers and not welded; maybe one of your tailpipes is on the muffler more than the other. allowing you to be able to slide the short pipe out a little and push the long pipe in to make them even.
 

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,607
1,094
184
stl
Nov 11, 2006
#7
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #7
are the mufflers uneven? and what about the cats, are they uneven? if it's just the tails, i'd just take them off and reinstall
 

95GTV8

New Member
Jul 25, 2005
386
3
0
Washington State
Nov 11, 2006
#8
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #8
no cats, mufflers are even. The exhaust tips are welded on. O well I guess i'm stuck with a small tip discrepancy.
 

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,607
1,094
184
stl
Nov 11, 2006
#9
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #9
if they were welded, they were welded unevenly,
 

95GTV8

New Member
Jul 25, 2005
386
3
0
Washington State
Nov 11, 2006
#10
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #10
god damn, well I guess there is nothing I can do.
 

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,607
1,094
184
stl
Nov 11, 2006
#11
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #11
you can try to bend it, who weld'd it for you? If it was a shop they should fix it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
404
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Saturday at 7:48 PM
AlexM556
A
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
348
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Drivetrain 83’ Glx convertible C5 Trans help!
  • JacksonJared2113
  • Dec 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
462
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 26, 2025
JacksonJared2113
M
Engine Unexplainable Exhaust Pop and Gurgle
  • Mrnissen122
  • Feb 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
693
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 18, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
439
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?