Drivetrain TREMEC TKX 1–2 Grinding Issue at ~4,000 Miles + Poor Warranty/Customer Service Experience

I wanted to share my experience with my TREMEC TKX in case anyone else has had a similar issue, especially with earlier-production units.


I have a Ford-spec TKX, part number TCET17765C, serial 0136, build code AC26, with only around 4,000 miles on it. The transmission has had a persistent issue with 2nd gear for a while now. During normal low-RPM driving, the 1–2 shift is generally fine. But during quicker or higher-RPM shifts, it will grind going into 2nd. I also later noticed that a quick/high-RPM downshift into 2nd can grind as well. If I pause for a second and let the RPM/input speed come down before selecting 2nd, it shifts cleanly.


The transmission has been serviced with the correct TREMEC fluid, and the issue existed before and after the fluid change. It also existed with my previous clutch and continued after installing a new McLeod RXT twin-disc, so the clutch change did not create the original 1–2 issue.


More recently, my mechanic drove the car himself and reproduced an additional rotational grinding/vibration during clutch engagement from a stop. He said he could feel it through the shifter/transmission, but not through the clutch pedal, which made him suspect the transmission rather than the clutch release system.


I originally contacted LMR, where I purchased the transmission, and they directed me to TREMEC because the standard warranty had expired. I submitted a claim with TREMEC and was assigned incident #26094. TREMEC then requested my purchase invoice, which I emailed to them on August 31.


After that, I received no response.


I eventually called TREMEC myself for an update. During that call, I was told the claim had essentially gone nowhere because the transmission was outside the calendar warranty period. When I pointed out that the transmission only has around 4,000 miles and that this type of failure should not be happening at that mileage, the response I got was:


“I don’t make the rules, I just implement them.”


I understand that companies have written warranty periods. My issue is not simply that the transmission is outside warranty. My problem is that TREMEC requested documentation from me, then never responded or formally closed the claim, and when I finally called for an update, the interaction was dismissive instead of helpful.


I went back to LMR afterward, and to their credit, they actually tried to help. They reviewed my emails, serial/data tag information, spoke with their TREMEC representative and a manager, and eventually offered me 10% off a replacement TKX with free shipping. I appreciate LMR making the effort.


That said, I’m reluctant to simply buy another stock TKX without knowing whether the underlying 1–2/2nd-gear issue has been revised in later production. There has been discussion from transmission builders about updated 2nd-gear/1–2 synchronizer designs, and I am currently trying to determine exactly what changes apply to the TKX and whether my early unit contains an earlier design.


At this point, I’m looking into having my existing TKX inspected and rebuilt/upgraded by a reputable TREMEC specialist rather than just replacing it with another untouched unit.


I’m posting this mainly to see whether anyone else with an early TKX has experienced:


  • Grinding on quick/high-RPM 1–2 shifts
  • Grinding on quicker downshifts into 2nd
  • Improvement if you pause before selecting 2nd
  • 1–2 synchro or 2nd-gear repairs at relatively low mileage
  • Confirmation of later or updated TKX 1–2/2nd-gear components

If anyone has had one apart or has part-number information on updated 1–2 components, I’d really appreciate hearing what was found.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DadLife0724
That sucks. When did you buy it? Not that it's gonna make you feel better, if AL is right, the date code AC26 would indicate a build date of January 2021 which would make it almost 6 years old. The warranty is 12 months.

I didn't give that much thought and have one sitting in a box thar will probably be past warranty when I install it lol.

As for the fix I'd send it to American Powertrain. They know them well. They offer an in house upgrade you can get for a new TKX to raise the torque rating to 900 ft lbs. They definitely know their way around the TKX. I'm sure if you called them they could get you a quote on a repair or opinion on the problem.

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/transmissions/tkx-5-speed/tremec-tkx-extreme-upgrade/