Bottoming out and trying to fix this problem

Tru_Blue_104

Nov 13, 2003
MN
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with bottoming out whenever I go over a harsh dip in the road. I think that its the plastic cover on the gas tank, not positive though, but it sounds like thats what it is.

Anyway, I figure it's either the straps that hold up the gas tank being broken or just sagging, or maybe the coil springs in the rear being cracked or worn out (since they are the originals).

So heres the question, I really dont want to replace the springs with lowered ones because I drive my car in the winter and I need the clearance. But I was looking at the local auto stores and they sell coil sets that are Variable rate. Are these the type of springs that come stock on our cars? If not, will it be alright if I get these as replacements?

I'm really getting sick of the sound, and I know its not the exhaust because thats the first thing I checked. Lemme know what you think

• Sponsors (?)

probly weak springs try a set of spring isolaters. Jack the rear of the car up and shove 3 or 4 on eash spring as see if they make a diff. My car would bottom out to if I had 1 or 2 people in the back but I always thought it was the tires rubbin inside the wheel well somewhere. Try and get new heaveier springs they are cheap and easy to change. But try the isolaters first.

Thanks for the input. But I jacked it up today and took a really close look at everything on the underside of the car. I don't think there is bottoming out, at least not on the gas tank. I'm gonna put it on a lift in the next couple of days, maybe that might help.

WHen you say isolators, do you mean the things you put in between the coils to make the coils harsher/stiffer? Or do you mean the actually coil spring isolator, being the rubber or urathane parts that go inbetween the chassis and the spring?

As a means of entertainment, I want you to humor me. try to get under the car again, and look at the driveshaft. Now if there is like clean spots on it instead of the entire thing being sort of rusty color take a look at the space in the chassis where the drive shaft is, check if maybe theres spots that the driveshaft is rubbing against the chassis. If this is the case let me know.

k, I'll give that a try. I took a quick look last time I was under it and didn't see anything. Sounds like it could be that though. I'm also gonna put a little white out on different parts, go for a drive and make it make that sound then check it. Sounds dumb, but I figure I'll try. I'll let ya know how it goes, thanks