• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Brake light gremlin.

  • Thread starter Thread starter 68EFIvert
  • Start date Start date Feb 2, 2008
6

68EFIvert

Member
Jan 13, 2007
639
0
17
Camas, Washington
Feb 2, 2008
#1
  • Feb 2, 2008
  • #1
I recently did the Mustang Steve Cobra brake conversion and while I was at it I added a SSBC distribution block that has a built in rear adjuster and brake light switch. I wired up the brake light switch and then connected the wires to the original brake light plug under the dash. I don't have any tail lights in the car since it is going to the body shop in a few days. When I push the brakes the turn signal indicators come on. Any ideas where to start this one?
 

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,077
12
108
Oregon.
Feb 2, 2008
#2
  • Feb 2, 2008
  • #2
typically its the turn signal switch that has gone faulty.

did they work prior to the new parts? Have you checked the grounds for the taillight wiring?
 
6

68EFIvert

Member
Jan 13, 2007
639
0
17
Camas, Washington
Feb 2, 2008
#3
  • Feb 2, 2008
  • #3
I have a flaming river tilt column that is new so I think the switch is fine. The turn signals work when I had them in the car. I am wondering if I need the have the lights hooked up for the ground to be complete? The plugs are just loose in the trunk right now and the front turn signals are not even plugged in to the plugs. Do you think my problem would go away if I hooked up the turn signals?
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Feb 3, 2008
#4
  • Feb 3, 2008
  • #4
It sounds like the connector that connects the steering column wiring to the main harness has the pin-outs switched up or something. Did it come prewired ?
 

Tim65GT

Active Member
Feb 24, 2004
1,149
2
39
West Texas
Feb 3, 2008
#5
  • Feb 3, 2008
  • #5
Does it have a hazard switch? Maybe it's on. On some vehicles all the hazard lamps stop flashing, but stay on when the brakes are pushed.
 
6

68EFIvert

Member
Jan 13, 2007
639
0
17
Camas, Washington
Feb 3, 2008
#6
  • Feb 3, 2008
  • #6
Good ideas guys. The hazard switch is not on and I haven't switched around the wiring since I wired it a little over a year ago. When I wired the column I had all the lights in place and they worked fine. I am starting to think I need the lights connected to make the ground. The only problem I have with that theory is I don't have the original rear lights any more since I am going with Mustang Project Shelby LED's. I have not installed them because I am waiting for paint first. I am starting to think I may be easier to chase this one down once I start putting the car back together.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
1966 Mustang coupe / Brake lights and left rear turn signal not working.
  • ArizonaRob1966
  • Nov 3, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
454
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Dec 24, 2025
Mcmahst
B
68 headlights hot working
  • Butchd88
  • Aug 1, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
128
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 3, 2026
Butchd88
B
O
1967 Manual Drum Brakes , replaced the master cylinder and the brake light switch but the brakes lights stay on.
  • OldNSloww
  • Jul 14, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
7
Views
433
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jul 16, 2025
horse sence
M
Aftermarket Brake light help needed
  • Mustang Steve
  • Mar 17, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
192
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Mar 17, 2026
Mustang Steve
M
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
390
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?