Buyin 96 cobra vortech

Bricks

Jun 15, 2005
Purchasing this car on Sat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=4553532276&rd=1

Already planning on getting a header back exhaust, tremec TKO and an upgraded rear end, along with a nice set of rims. Not sure what else I might need, I wont know till friday when I see the car. Its already got a vortech blower, but thats the only thing I can tell just by the pictures. Just wondering what if anything I should look for. I have sum money to spend so feel free to make suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

might wanna find out how much boost is being run, esp. if its on stock internals, that will ultimately affect the longevity of the motor. and dont forget its an aluminum block, they dont like boost so much as a 2V block

Looks like a beautiful car and well taken care of.
Thats a teksid aluminum block in that cobra, they have no problem taking over 1000hp. The internals are still the weak link. I would in the future plan on getting forged internals if you ever want to up the boost. For right now with 16k miles I wouldn't see any problems with the car. I know of 96-98 supercharged cobras that have over 100k miles still running strong on the original untouched engine.

5.0's 4 ever said:
Thats a teksid aluminum block in that cobra, they have no problem taking over 1000hp. The internals are still the weak link. I would in the future plan on getting forged internals if you ever want to up the boost. For right now with 16k miles I wouldn't see any problems with the car. I know of 96-98 supercharged cobras that have over 100k miles still running strong on the original untouched engine.

you'd def know better than i would about cobra block strength :nice: but seriously, just upgrade your internals and you'll have nothing to worry about

5.0's 4 ever said:

Yea, from the pics it looks brand new, ill be able to get a better look in person on fri. Im assuming its a basic v-1 kit, unsure of how many lbs that is, based on what the salesman told me about the previous owner. This is my first mustang, although I have friends with sum pretty nice ones, my last car was a 99 z28, can someone suggest a good place to order performance parts from?

I was pushing out 477rwhp on my 1996 Cobra with no internal work done. Never had a problem with it except for the clutch. Stock clutch cannot hold more than 400rwhp. That was with 12# of boost coming from my vortech and aftercooler. I can't remember what my torque was, but I think it was around 452. I also threw in there a t56. That was the best thing I could have done along with th 3:73's. Hardly any tire spin in 1st, 2nd alot more tire spin, 3rd and 4th pulled real hard, and 5th pulled pretty good as well. 6th was for cruising above 80. You should love that car.

silentbullitt said:
I was pushing out 477rwhp on my 1996 Cobra with no internal work done. Never had a problem with it except for the clutch. Stock clutch cannot hold more than 400rwhp. That was with 12# of boost coming from my vortech and aftercooler. I can't remember what my torque was, but I think it was around 452. I also threw in there a t56. That was the best thing I could have done along with th 3:73's. Hardly any tire spin in 1st, 2nd alot more tire spin, 3rd and 4th pulled real hard, and 5th pulled pretty good as well. 6th was for cruising above 80. You should love that car.

Hmm, what do the t56's run, id love to have a t56 in the cobra, ive been drivin a t56 for 3 years in my camaro. Im pretty sure the cobra doesnt have an aftercooler, is that something I should buy?

It all depends on what t56 you want to put in the car. You put the viper t56 in you car and you are looking at spending around $4k or more in parts. That includes, clutch, flywheel, installation kit, shifter, and trans. Since you were use to a M6 in your fbody you would probably want the viper t56. It has the same gear ratio setup as your old car. I love the 2.66 1st and 0.50 6th. Makes it possible to loaf around even with 4.30s back there.