Can a engine issue sound like an exhaust leak on 1 side ?

MustangLife

Jan 5, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
Heres the problem. At part throttle to full throttle 3,000 rpms on up to redline. The right side (passenger side) of my car sounds like it has an exhaust leak. I've worked on the exhaust myself, taken it to the exhaust shop twice and there are no exhausts leaks to be found. From me and about 3 other mechanics.

I have no check engine lights.
The car runs perfect at idle.
Its been like this a while so I thought it was an exhaust leak, so I can't tell if its down on power or not. Haven't dynoed it in years.

So anyone have any input? This is the most annoying thing.

Thanks
Josh

• Sponsors (?)

TSB 03-25-6

There is a TSB regarding an engine tick. This may not apply to you as the TSB deals with a tick at idle. It is interesting as it gives other things to check that could cause a valve tick. Anyway, including the TSB for your reference (look at #7 on the list).

Low oil pressure can cause valve noise. Are you using the recommened weight oil?

My Son's 2005 F150 had a slight tick while crusing. It dropped a valve on the way to the dealer.

>>>TSB 03-25-6
Article No.
03-25-6

12/22/03

ENGINE - ROMEO BUILT 4.6L 2V - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 9/17/2003

FORD:
2001-2004 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, E SERIES, EXPEDITION, F-150
2002-2004 EXPLORER

LINCOLN:
2001-2004 TOWN CAR

MERCURY:
2001-2004 GRAND MARQUIS
2002-2004 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 03-16-4 to update the engine, engine build date and part numbers.

ISSUE
Some vehicles, equipped with the Romeo built 4.6L 2V engine, with an "ENGINE BUILD DATE" prior to 9/17/2003 may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent in the front wheel well area and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure listed in this article to properly evaluate/diagnose the vehicle condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE THIS ARTICLE APPLIES ONLY TO VEHICLES WITH A "ROMEO ENGINE" BUILT BEFORE 9/17/2003 (ENGINE BUILD DATE NOT VEHICLE BUILD DATE). THE ENGINE BUILD DATE IS TYPICALLY FOUND ON THE ENGINE LABEL LOCATED ON THE VALVE COVER.

1. Verify the source of the noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the cylinder head near the exhaust ports.

2. Verify that the noise is heard in the exhaust system (in the wheel well or catalytic converter area, from underneath the vehicle).

3. Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.

4. Verify that the tick noise is still present when canceling each cylinder, by unplugging the injectors one at a time.

5. Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01) and retest vehicle.

6. Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, re-torque to specification (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01).

7. Check hydraulic lash adjusters for a possible "spongy" condition (refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-00).

8. Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.

If the above diagnostics do not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, replace the cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 4L3Z-6049-AA (RH) or 4L3Z-6049-BA (LH). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01 for cylinder head replacement procedures.

NOTE THE REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

Appreciate the info from Ford. It doesn't help me much since thats past my knowledge of fixing cars. I can do it all but internals, cams and heads. I know my car was built in November 02, so it definately applies to me. Will Ford pay for it. I've been slammed with $1,000 bills from dealerships before.

Josh

Any time I hear of a 4.6L 2V making sounds like an "exhaust leak" I immediately think "Check your spark plugs..."

Make sure they're all tight. Such a sound may indicate a plug that's backed out and is holding on by just a thread or two.

Yeh I already have a helacoil on that same side from a true spark plug blowout, trashed my coil pack too. So that might be the culprit again. I'll check the plugs and go from there. Than change the exhaust manifold gasket, I still have the stock ones from the factory on there. Appreciate it.

what kind of exhaust are you running... i have bbk l/t's with an o/r bbk x-pipe, and flows... before i put cats on my x pipe, at half throttle it sounded like it had an exhaust leak. i think it had something to do with the exhaust gas flow bouncing around in the chambered x-pipe.