Can someone explain my 1/4 times to me in English?

spirockp

5 Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
NJ
Open Ended Rear - Stock 3:00
60' 2.301
330 6.407
1/8 9.831
MPH 71.27
1000 12.831
1/4 15.380
MPH 88.29

Upgraded to Limited Slip - Richmond Powertrax
60' 2.217
330 6.322
1/8 9.764
MPH 70.84
1000 12.791
1/4 15.366
MPH 87.27

I'm running BF Goodrich G-Force Sport 225/50/R15
No water box, and no real smoke show, just spinning them once to remove any dirt.

Thanks .

Peter S.

• Sponsors (?)

the 60' times are how long it took your car to go 60 feet

same with each of the other times.

as for the change, part of that is due to having better traction because of the limited slip diff.

D.Hearne, why is that the issue with the 3:00 gears? Why would a different gear set have better results from the Limited Slip?

Also, what I meant with my first post, do the numbers, 60' - 1/8 - & 1/4 make sense. Is anything off.

Even with the rear upgrade, I was still spinning the tires starting off. What would be good air pressure with street tires? I ran those times with 23psi. Any suggestions?

Replacement timing and scoring device for your car:

sundial0501.jpg

D.Hearne, why is that the issue with the 3:00 gears? Why would a different gear set have better results from the Limited Slip?

Also, what I meant with my first post, do the numbers, 60' - 1/8 - & 1/4 make sense. Is anything off.

Even with the rear upgrade, I was still spinning the tires starting off. What would be good air pressure with street tires? I ran those times with 23psi. Any suggestions?

Why the issue with the 3.00's? The numbers speak for themselves. If you cannot see that, then you've spent $500 for nothing. I don't understand what you mean by the numbers making sense. A gear change to something like 3.50's to 3.80's would lower those numbers all around. A change to better tires (traction wise) would get you to the point where the engine's torque would be overcome by the traction, and that's when you'd see where the 3.00's are hurting you in the 1/4 mile.

I'm confused on the vehicle. What is the year make and model you got these times with? What engine are you running and mods are done to it?

I have a 66 Coupe which I know is not set up to run, I'm just having some fun. It's lowered on all four corners with sway bars attached. (they won't be next time)

I'm running a stock 1990 302. On it I'm using the 66 stock headers and 66 stock intake. Yes I know these are killing me. Again, just having fun. I have the original 3 speed C4 and 3:00 rear with PowerTrax. (which I don't like very much) My C4 which was just rebuilt shifts from 1st to 2nd at 5MPH so I manually shift it into 2nd at 4000RPM

So CraigMBA, cut me some slack. :Zip2:

Ok, thanks. Those are very similar times to what I was running 15.40's@91mph
before i started upgrading things on my 289. You have tons of potential and minor things like timing, diconnecting your vaccum advance when racing, tire pressure and taking weight out of car are easy ways to better et's. For me I started w/ the supsension set up first before i started putting money in the motor. Wheelhop of killing me at one point. I can say as far as gearing goes, i switched from a 3.55 open rear to a 3.80 trak-loc and picked up over 2/10's and 1 mph in the 1/4. Over coming poor 60 ft times is always a challege, I still working on that as even on my best pass so far I had a 2.20, I had gotten a 2.11 but missed a shift. I hoping to break into the 1.90's and get some mid 13 sec passes soon.

I have a 66 Coupe which I know is not set up to run, I'm just having some fun. It's lowered on all four corners with sway bars attached. (they won't be next time)

I'm running a stock 1990 302. On it I'm using the 66 stock headers and 66 stock intake. Yes I know these are killing me. Again, just having fun. I have the original 3 speed C4 and 3:00 rear with PowerTrax. (which I don't like very much) My C4 which was just rebuilt shifts from 1st to 2nd at 5MPH so I manually shift it into 2nd at 4000RPM

So CraigMBA, cut me some slack. :Zip2:

Which stock 1990 302 are you running? Pickup/Van, Crown Vic or the HO 5.0? The 66 intake and exhaust aren't hurting you as much as you'd think, even with the HO motor. With the stock 2 bbl intake, just a swap to a Holley list 4412 500 cfm 2 bbl would do wonders with the 2 bbl intake. The exhaust manifolds aren't a bottleneck either with the stock(unported) heads. Just a gear swap would knock at least a second off the E.T's with what you've got.

Here's some plain english... not terrible times for having some fun but it shows in the 60ft times. On those tires I'd look at hitting around a 2.0 60ft. I'd find a empty road and practice your launches over and over, you want to find that sweet spot where you launch as hard as possible without spinning -- just on the edge of traction.

Good call on bypassing the waterbox, driving through it on street tires typically just allows the fronts to bring water up to the line so your back tires can spin on it.

Typically a 2/10 reduction in your 60ft is about doubled off the ET so some better launching alone gets you into the 14s. On some drag radials or slicks some 1.7s/1.8s should be very obtainable.

As your 60ft time drops your MPH will typically go down as you are not spinning as much at the launch. You can see this in your slips.

More practice and a better tire and you've got a 14sec car very easy!

Wes

Which stock 1990 302 are you running? Pickup/Van, Crown Vic or the HO 5.0? The 66 intake and exhaust aren't hurting you as much as you'd think, even with the HO motor. With the stock 2 bbl intake, just a swap to a Holley list 4412 500 cfm 2 bbl would do wonders with the 2 bbl intake. The exhaust manifolds aren't a bottleneck either with the stock(unported) heads. Just a gear swap would knock at least a second off the E.T's with what you've got.

To the best of my knowledge my 302 came our of a truck, no HO motor here. Also my stock intake is a 4 bbl and I'm running a Holly 600 cmf.

Wes that was the type of explaination I was looking for. As far as practicing my launch on an empty road, you were reading my mind. I hope to get one more day at the track in Nov before they close.

Again thaks to all for the tips.

Peter S.

To the best of my knowledge my 302 came our of a truck, no HO motor here. Also my stock intake is a 4 bbl and I'm running a Holly 600 cmf.

If you've done nothing else to it, you've got basically the same long block as the HO motor, minus the forged pistons and HO roller cam. You should have a roller block though, just fitted with a flat tappet cam. A few things here will improve it: porting the exhaust sides of the heads and blending the bowl area under the valves. This involves removing the thermactor bump in the port roof, opening up the roof and walls to match a header gasket, leave the floor area alone except for polishing. Blend the bowls under the intake valves too, but aside from removing sharp edges in the ports and a port match to the intake, leave the intake passages alone. Replace the stock flat tappet cam with the hyd roller of your choice. The good factory cams are the HO, F4TE and the 93 Cobra cam. The Ford Racing alphabet cams are a great bang for the buck too. You can use all but the X & Z cams with your heads. Also replacing the stock rockers with a set of full roller 1.7's (the stock Cobra 1.7's or Crane's p/n 44746-16's)will free up some friction and gain 10-15 hp.

Looks like the posi improved the 60 ft some, which it should, and gave you a tenth or so in et.

The rest of the times and mph info you can use to see what was happening in whatever gear and rpm range you were in.

Not bad for what you have.

In my experience, you would benefit most from tires next. I suggest BFG Drag Radials, then a looser converter, and more gear.

I went through a phase of exactly those times, and did things in opposite order, ie, gears first, then a converter, and got wild wheelspin until I put tires on it. Got the same times with 2.73's and 4.10's! Very disappointed.

With the new gears and converter, the BFG's dropped it from 8.2 sec eighth mile to 7.8 secs.