• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Can't get drum spindles off of lower A-arms

  • Thread starter Thread starter evilfitz
  • Start date Start date Apr 18, 2006
E

evilfitz

New Member
Feb 12, 2003
31
0
0
Wisconsin
Apr 18, 2006
#1
  • Apr 18, 2006
  • #1
This is driving me nuts and I know I'm probably just too slow to pickup something obvious (Like I need a bigger hammer). I'm tearing out all the suspension out of my 66. I got the spindles off of the uppers and off the tie-rods without a problem. I can't get the spindles off of the lowers. I ended up taking the lowers off the car during the teardown, but still can't get them separated. Is there a chance they're rusted together, are they threaded together, or do I just need to keep hitting them?
 

Jester67

Member
Sep 21, 2004
908
1
18
TN
Apr 18, 2006
#2
  • Apr 18, 2006
  • #2
Did you try this? http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/shockandfall/shockfall1.htm dont look at the first pic if you read through it it might help.
 

degins

Member
Sep 18, 2004
361
0
17
Texas
Apr 18, 2006
#3
  • Apr 18, 2006
  • #3
You need a bigger hammer!
 
E

evilfitz

New Member
Feb 12, 2003
31
0
0
Wisconsin
Apr 18, 2006
#4
  • Apr 18, 2006
  • #4
Jester,

I actually used that article when taking it apart, but it doesn't really mention anything specifically about the lowers, which is why I was wondering if there's something else I don't know. Thanks for the thought though.
 
9

97fxdwg

New Member
May 7, 2004
105
0
0
Apr 18, 2006
#5
  • Apr 18, 2006
  • #5
I had mine off and was beating the living crap out of the end of the spindle with no luck. Whale on the A-arm, not the end of the spindle. I had mine off but couldn't get it apart, stuck it in my saddlebags and rode 25 miles in the rain to the nearest Mustang shop where the mechanic hit the damn thing twice and it fell apart. He said that happened every time, every time.
 
M

mustangdave

My rearend needs a stud and two nuts.
Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
2,976
1
56
North Carolina
Apr 18, 2006
#6
  • Apr 18, 2006
  • #6
It might help to loosely reconnect the spindle to the upper arms to support it while you're wailing away. Use the biggest handheld sledgehammer you can. I don't like to admit it, but I once had one that I couldn't "shock" loose, (probably overtorqued). I reinstalled the nut and whacked the top a few times and it came off. You run the risk of damaging threads when you do this though.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
346
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
89 LX Electrical Troubles
  • fun331
  • Oct 25, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
407
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 27, 2025
fun331
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
833
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
T
Convertible A-pillar weatherstrip issues
  • thiefofcheese
  • Oct 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
407
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 20, 2025
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?