Car momentarily cut out while driving..

Ourobos

Apr 12, 2004
I was driving down the interstate today, and my 90 LX 5.0 just cut completely out for a split second, and picked right back up. Like it was just coasting then right back on. Any ideas where the gremlin could be? Any ideas appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Well it could be alot of things. Cutting out like that most times is a fuel pump on it's way out. It looses pressure but while the car is "off" it gets pressure again and is able to take it. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my cowl just because it tells me alot of whats going on with the motor, it kind of doubles as a vaccume guage. Another common problem with this is the MAF, but not as often. Of course the ignition is another area but usually if a coil or module goes, it's goes dead all at once.

you mean the engine cut? or just power to the wheels? if so it might be the tranny slipping? i had that problem in my 92 LX hatch 5.0 about 2 years after i got it. dont remember what it was, but it would just coast and pick back up again, this may be your problem :shrug:

No, I mean the engine... It cut out just long enough that when it kicked back in, I didn't feel it jerk or anything. I had my foot on the gas and it just went dead.. completely.. I'm thinking bad fuel pump or something like that.. tranny is strong.. 90mustanggt.. sounds like that.. could be all of those.. any other ideas? Anyone?

Get a fuel pressure gauge, maby not permenent but just one like they sell/rent at parts stores and tape it to the windshield and see what the pressure does. It sould read around 30psi at high vaccume and about 38-40 psi at low vaccume. Get on it and see if it keeps it's pressure. I bet it is the fuel pump becuase you said it is when you put your foot down, the pump isn't dead, but weak, the higher fuel requirements it could not provide.

89MustangGX said:
Sounds like classic TFI to me. Be aware -- they are hard to diagnose because they will sometimes pass every test you put them through, and then die on you sometime later and leave you stranded.

That is what I was thinking next, but my first though was the PIP sensor in the distributer. Mine has a little hiccup like that once in a while. I know that replacing those two with quality parts would be a smart thing to do right now. Pull the codes first and see if that tells you anything. My guess is that it wont. I usually feel it at a certain rpm, under moderate acceleration. If I floor the car its not there. I think mine is the PIP. I am rambling a bit, so I will go away now. Good luck.

I have no codes/MIL.. But the TPI was what I was wondering about myself. I'll look into the PIP also. Thanks guys, I think it's probably that.. I'll keep you updated.

I have been having a similar prob. I had the tfi checked and it was fine. Mine is not fuel pump or filter because i have a gauge monted on the cowl.

What is the PIP sensor?????

strange problem, here is mine, when i first got my stang, my friend put a stock motor in for the time being, and the amp gauge would just drop alot and the car would do the same as yours. thought is was the alt. so i upgraded to a g3 and thought that would solve it but it dident. i then started messing around, shaking wires and stuff, nothing, then i finally double grounded the battery to the headlight ground and the problem stoped. since i had the new motor put in, i dont have to double ground it anymore and the problem has went away, so im thinking that when the stock one was put in, either something was messed up with the install or maybe with the connections with that motor. Is your car a stick, im thinking that is why it fires back up when stalled. when mine cut out and then fired back up i would smell fuel. do you smell fuel. ok, good luck

if not mentioned, the pick up is on the dizzy shaft. you press the gear off and swap it. as said, some prefer to get new dizzies (sometimes there are problems getting the gear to realign).

Check your ignition switch. Have you noticed any problems with turn signals, rear defroster, or heat/air blower? If so, I'd bet that you've got a bad ignition switch. If it's not making contact like it should, it'll cause the car to cut out momentarily. After a while it will cut out for good.

I did have a bad one once. I had broken the connector while putting the steering wheel shroud back on. The car would just cut out, kinda like this. Nothing a ziptie wouldn't fix. :)

i had the same problem.i was broke down on the side of the road.embarising,people were driving by yelling get a z28,found on road dead,etc. the car started after it cooled down so when i got home i ordered another eccel tfi, i also pulled codes and code 14 came up,code 14 is pick up in distributer.i installed the new tfi and the car ran good untill i put it to the floor.sounded like it was going to blow up backfired real loud missed alot and then killed.now im waiting for a new msd dizzy.dont buy eccel products they wouldnt even take the dis. back. it only had 20 miles on it.