carb problem

mustangboy8909

Dec 1, 2009
my friends uncle just bought a car and it will not run right it stalls when you give it gas to take off so we started looking at stuff reset the timing put new cap rotor plugs and wires on it. then after all that it still will not run right it has a edelbrock carb on it and the whole inside is all black just wondering what could cause this to turn black. because i have one on my car and it still looks like brand new on the inside.

Sounds like it is running way too rich. Not really a fan of the Edelbrock, but I have a 1406 on one toy that has been bulletproof.

Only prob I had was that it sat, off the car for 6 mos in the trunk. When reinstalled it would not idle. Had to take the top off and blow out all the idle passages. Then it went back to working fine.

Yours sounds like it has grossly misadjusted idle screws or a sticking float, or is leaking internally.

I got the Edelbrock book at Barnes and Noble before taking mine apart, but it really is easy. If you are careful, you can get the cover off without tearing the gasket. Its got some funky stuff, the needles, etc, like an old Motorcraft.

Should be fixable and run decently, although not a powerhouse, imho.

yeah that is kinda what i thought to but we started looking in to it and checking some other stuff out on why it would not run right and we pulled some plugs they were all black and we just replaced them. so just for fun we started to check the compression they were all right around 110 then we checked the last one and it was 25 so i think we found the problem and i think he got ripped since the guy he bought it from told him it had just been rebuilt but could not figure out why it would not run right