Carb recommendation

• Sponsors (?)

You'll over-carb it, it will drink gas like a pig, and make you cry from the fumes. The only time it will work will be in higher revs.

600 CFM is the max for a stock SB. The carb you show should work great, lots of pick-up, and decent economy. Pair it with a dual-plane manifold, good ignition, and you'll never regret it.

If you go with a bigger carb you will just have to re-jet it to the what works best with the motor you have. Most people make the mistake of running too much carb for their motor and in the long run it hurts the performance.

no

chepsk8 said:
You'll over-carb it, it will drink gas like a pig, and make you cry from the fumes. The only time it will work will be in higher revs.

this is a generic statement that is simply not true. there are many factors that go into the design of a carbuerator. a carb that is too big will actually create a lean condition. by trying to tune the carb an overly rich idle circuit will result in an attempt to correct the lean condition. it will also cause a sluggish response due to a lower signal accross the boosters. this is easily corrected by using different boosters. studies show that a carb as big as a 1050 can outperform (in all aspects including economy) a smaller carb on a 350ci engine. this is of course out of the scope of the average enthusiat and that is why there are smaller carbs that perform reasonably well on the street. after all why have a $1000 1050 annular booster dominator when a $300 holley 600dp will give the same result to the average consumer.

chepsk8 said:
600 CFM is the max for a stock SB. The carb you show should work great, lots of pick-up, and decent economy. Pair it with a dual-plane manifold, good ignition, and you'll never regret it.

yeah i agree. but i'd be more inclined to go with a 600DP since you'll probably continue to modify the car and it will be ready for hot cam and some head work. i don't think you'd lose any economy by using the mech sec carb. mustangs are light cars and the throttle response is much better with the mech. sec. carbs. i've had both on my car and prefer the mech. sec.

I ran the Holley 600 CFM for several years. I was continually fighting air and fuel leaks. I recently switched the the Edelbrock 4106. It ran great right out the box...no problems, great performance and it looks much better!

bluemonster and chepsk8 are both correct to a point. depending on what boosters are used, larger carbs can work as well at the low end range as most smaller carbs, while giving a power boost on the top end. one however must understand carb tuning with larger carbs, more so than with smaller ones, as you do have conflicting obstacles to overcome. if you doubt your tuning skills, then go with the smaller carb.

geostang351 said:
I have a 289 engine (stock) and I'm looking to changing the carb to the one attached (linked) What do you guys think? I don't know jack about tranny's and carbs so I can really use your help. JUst a weekend driver, no dragging or racing.

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=0-1848-1

That is a good choice. I just put a 600 CFM (vac secondaries) on the coupe with the new engine. It may present some problems as the miles roll up but for now it is working OK.

Funny, on the race car I went undercarbed with a 650 CFM double pumper (Barry Grant) but have seen as high as a 780 on a 289 track car with trick flow heads.

Biggest carb I have seen is a 950 on a 347 (Coast High Performance) and it would haul the mail!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com