Carb

innocentfool

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
78 KC here....bought in 1991...driven it on and off over the years...time to replace the carb...sticking with a two barrel...car is in storage and haven't confirm the carb model...anyone know off the top of their head before I head out there....and a source for a replacement?

• Sponsors (?)

The factory carb would've been an Autolite or Motorcraft 2100 or 2150. If you can't locate one, a Holley 2300 would be a nearly bolt-on affair, hide under the air cleaner, and improve performance a tiny bit.

I bought a new 2150 from Amazon because I needed the additional ports due to smog. Rebuilt was $400+and this new one was $97.
No problem passing the Cali smog test.

2150 carb

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is the 97$ carb doesn't have the alcohol proof parts and the accelerator pump will die quickly if used with ethanol.
But I don't know...even with a carb kit its still a good price though.

I've had one of those cheapo Mexican 2150 clones for 3 years now on a 289 and it's not having any problems with modern crappy pump gas. Definitely a reasonable carb for what you pay. An important note is that the one I got had older-style jets (big things not holley-sized, not sure if the original carb had the same as I didn't have it). I ended up drilling out the ones that came with the carb to get it to run reasonably. Just be advised to keep your original and you may have to rob its main jets (hopefully they're the same sized threads) if the $97 guy isn't reasonably closely jetted to the original. You can get replacement jets, but as far as I'm aware a big assortment isn't available and it's pricey to get a bunch of them individually.