65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
From today's paper:

Car's black box may be key in murder case

BY CHAU LAM
STAFF WRITER

September 14, 2004

The so-called automobile black box, a device that helps determine what happened in the seconds leading up to a collision, has emerged as a key piece of evidence in the murder case against two North Shore men who allegedly caused a crash in 2002 that killed a Westbury couple.

The apparatus, similar to a flight data recorder found in airplanes, was factory-installed in the 2000 Corvette driven by Kyle Soukup, then 17, of Brookville. Nassau prosecutors said Soukup was racing against a second driver, Blake Slade, then 19, of Muttontown, who was driving a 2002 Mercedes. Their cars plowed into a Jeep, killing Sophia Bretous, 23, and her fiance, Jean Desir, 31.

Data stored in the Corvette's black box, officially known as an event data recorder, showed that four and five seconds before the crash Soukup was driving at 139 mph, said Assistant District Attorney Michael Walsh. Soukup and Slade were driving in a 55 mph zone. Both have been indicted on two counts of second-degree murder under the theory of depraved indifference to human life.

Walsh is asking Court of Claims Justice Alan Honorof in Mineola to permit him to use data retrieved from the Corvette's black box as evidence in Soukup's and Slade's upcoming murder trial. Information retrieved from a vehicle's black box has never been admitted as evidence in a criminal case in New York, Walsh said, although other states, such as California and Florida, have allowed it.

A hearing began Monday, and is expected to last several days, to determine whether technology found in the automobile black boxes is generally accepted by experts in the accident reconstruction field. At the conclusion of the hearing, Honorof will decide whether or not jurors will be allowed to hear the information.

The use of black boxes in automobiles has raised concerns about privacy rights among some.

Mark Rasch, senior vice president of Solutionary, Inc., an Omaha, Neb.-based computer security company said most consumers don't know their movements are being recorded and said they should be allowed to opt out of the surveillance. Rasch, the former head of the U.S. Justice Department's computer crime unit, added that anyone interested in obtaining the data from a vehicle should be allowed to do so only with a court order. Lawmakers in California, for example, passed a law recently requiring just that.

On June 10, 2002, police said, Soukup and Slade were driving north on Route 106 in Muttontown. Witnesses told police that the teenagers were driving side-by-side as they accelerated, which Walsh said indicated they were engaging in a speeding contest. Bretous and Desir, riding in the 1993 Jeep, were turning left from Route 106 onto Muttontown Road, when their Jeep was slammed by the cars driven by Soukup and Slade.

Although it's rare to prosecute a person for murder in fatal car crashes, Walsh said his office decided to do so in this case due to several factors, including the fact that Soukup and Slade were reckless, racing in an area where there are homes with driveways leading onto Route 106, Walsh said. But the main factor his office is prosecuting the young men for murder, Walsh said, was the excessive speed.

"There comes a point in time where speed alone is enough," Walsh said Monday.

William R. Haight, an accident reconstruction expert at the San Diego-based Collision Safety Institute who testified for the prosecution, said the black box technology has been used by the aviation industry since the 1940s. He has conducted test of car crashes and compared the results to the data found in a car's black box and found that they are virtually the same.

"Time after time after time, we get the same answer," Haight testified Monday.

Attorneys for Soukup, now 19, declined to comment but they appeared to attack the data's accuracy with the introduction at the hearing of two published articles written by those in the accident reconstruction field.

John Kase, the attorney for Slade, who is now 21, said his client was speeding but not as fast as the prosecution claims. Kase, of Garden City, said he is opposed to allowing data from the Corvette's black box into trial but finds it more troubling that his client has been charged with murder.

"I have been unable to find any prosecution where speed alone is the basis for murder," Kase said.

Gladys and Ferne Bretous, parents of the dead woman, attended the hearing. The impact of the crash broke the Jeep into three pieces, Ferne Bretous said. "It's got to be murder," he said.

Staff writer Zachary R. Dowdy contributed to this story.
Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

• Sponsors (?)

You know I street race but certainly not on a 2 lane highway or where there are homes.

We have places by invite only nothing around but fields. Yes there have been accidents but nothing serious has happened so far.

250 shot nitrous really makes the car kick side ways and make you loose it at 100 mph even then nothing major happened. Car skidded for about 50 feet sideways hopped a ditch and into the field. Hooked the car to the truck pulled it out started back up and ready for another pass.

If this had happened even at a track where they have concrete blocks it would have been much much worse.

BUT going 140 MPH on a road as these people where doing is plain stupid stupid STUPID!!!

Fostang said:
You know I street race but certainly not on a 2 lane highway or where there are homes.

We have places by invite only nothing around but fields. Yes there have been accidents but nothing serious has happened so far.

250 shot nitrous really makes the car kick side ways and make you loose it at 100 mph even then nothing major happened. Car skidded for about 50 feet sideways hopped a ditch and into the field. Hooked the car to the truck pulled it out started back up and ready for another pass.

If this had happened even at a track where they have concrete blocks it would have been much much worse.

BUT going 140 MPH on a road as these people where doing is plain stupid stupid STUPID!!!

Funny, STUPID is the word I would describe for your actions. I hope YOU get what is coming to you, whatever that may be.

I hate the idea of these so-called "black boxes". I view them as an invasion of my privacy. My car is an extension of me just the same as my home is. I have an expectation of privacy and the right to not incriminate myself without a search warrent in my car as much as I do in my home. I feel that I shoudl have the righ to disconnect or remove this so-called "black box" from my car. They are being installed for "reasearch" purposes. I choose to opt out of this "research " then. :bang: George Orwell had it right, but was a couple decades too early.

Not THIS discussion again. This was the same topic that spawned the creation of the Sheeple

I think THESE data recorders are a good thing (the ones the insurance companies want to use are intrusive CLICK HERE . ). These data recorders prevent false lawsuits against auto makers and insurance companies, and are only used in the case of an accident. I don't like to pay high auto insurance, medical insurance, property insurace, and auto prices, but we are forced too because too many people play the "Litigation Lottery" (Sue your way to success). These data EVENT recorders only capture the last few seconds of operation.
There have been several cases where the defense has tried to lie about, or manipulate the data, until the data recorder showed otherwise. One of those cases was the football player who kill himself in a wreck. The family (mothers of his 5 children) tried to sue GM claiming it was the cars fault. The case was tossed when the recorder data showed oherwise.

Ozsum2 said:
Funny, STUPID is the word I would describe for your actions. I hope YOU get what is coming to you, whatever that may be.

Oh brother. :rlaugh:

Thanks for the kind words and I hope you get hit by one of those idiot ricer kids racing on normal city streets. :flag:

Because you certainly won't come close to being hit by any of us doing it on deserted roads with nobody around but 10-15 cars behind us and nothing but a dirt field in front of us.

Fostang said:
Oh brother. :rlaugh:

Thanks for the kind words and I hope you get hit by one of those idiot ricer kids racing on normal city streets. :flag:

Because you certainly won't come close to being hit by any of us doing it on deserted roads with nobody around but 10-15 cars behind us and nothing but a dirt field in front of us.

But you are breaking the law and admittedly, doing some dangerous things.... :shrug:

If I were to get hit by a ricer kid instead of a classic kid like you, at least the ricer kid may have some safety equipement so that he and his riders don't die. I know you didn't mean what you said, but I did. :D :lol:

Fostang said:
True but as long as only the persons participating are the ones at risk just as when at the track.

So, since only you and the duelest can get hurt, that makes it ok. Nope. What if you died or the other guy? The moms will weep. The law has to protect your dumb ass and hers.

Fostang said:
This "accident" happened late at night on an allegedly deserted road. Fact is that ANYONE who races on PUBLIC roads, whether they are deserted or not, is breaking the law. Frankly, I'm getting tired of cutting street racers out of their mangled vehicles!:nonono:

I know we sound like old farts, but honestly its just so damn dangerous. Id hate for someone to start a "what happened to Fostang ?" thread. Even on a barren country road, you could have a bad accident, a fire, God forbid a pin in. None of these cars, our classics or ricers were made to withstand serious speed impacts. Ive seen quite a few people killed in car wrecks, much like 65. Some of the dead were the lucky ones too. The burned, paralyzed , disfigured survivors are a testament to that. Cars are dangerous enough without stacking the odds against you even higher. Im not saying dont race, Im just saying do it in a controlled environment. Youll stand that much more chance of surviving an incident with emergency crews on hand, and you dont have to worry about a prison sentence when either your competitor , or a bystander gets fragged out. I know in North Carolina, prearranged speed competition will cost you your car. On the spot. And if you are racing outside a sanctioned track , and a death occurs, if you were involved in any way, thats an involuntary manslaughter charge. No matter how you add it up, its not worth it. Id hate to hear about something happening to ya bro. :rolleyes:

Fostang, I once tried to explain to this board the difference between street racing and racing on the street. It was a long and battling thread with the anti-street racing side not wanting to even consider the clandestine world of street racers as being a far cry from people racing amongst regular traffic. Do yourself a favor, just post a dancing banana and move on.

On a side note, do you ever talk to Sky anymore? Does he still have his Saleen?

To all the absolute law abiding citizens I say: Job well done, I wish I could be as noble.

65stanger said:
This "accident" happened late at night on an allegedly deserted road. Fact is that ANYONE who races on PUBLIC roads, whether they are deserted or not, is breaking the law. Frankly, I'm getting tired of cutting street racers out of their mangled vehicles!:nonono:

Agreed. Racing down city streets, or for that matter, back roads is downright dangerous.

gp001 said:
Fostang, I once tried to explain to this board the difference between street racing and racing on the street. It was a long and battling thread with the anti-street racing side not wanting to even consider the clandestine world of street racers as being a far cry from people racing amongst regular traffic. Do yourself a favor, just post a dancing banana and move on.

To all the absolute law abiding citizens I say: Job well done, I wish I could be as noble.

man, i remember that thread like it was yesterday. i was going to tell fo the same thing. i seem to remember having a lot less padding on the ol' backside after that :D

gp001 said:

:banana:

FIREBALL. YES...YES...YES....

Only hardcore street racers from around would know what fireball is talk about 8 sec cars street racing. :nice:

I haven't talked to Sky in Months..... :shrug:

Guy from Ojai correct...Who owns the computer store.

Last thing I knew about him was that his modular conversion fox had been sold.

Got a cobra also seen him looking for parts for it on corral.

Another Old Fart Checks In To Rant!

"Street racin' don't hurt nobody - except the racers!" My achin' a$$!!!

I'll simply refer you to THIS LINK . No racing, no bottles, just a kid driving herself down a county road 9 at the speed limit, which was too fast !!!! This is a kid that has been known to drive her Dad's sometimes drunk butt home at age 14; had experience (but not enough), knew what she was doing (not this time), and who even I will agree "Drives like a ganny".

Look closely at the pictures in the second post. I MEAN REALLY EYE-#^C% THEM!!! Now think about this: That (was) a 13-year-old 3/8-ton truck; with a real C-channel frame holding the body, suspension and drivetrain (V6 - 3/4 of an SBC) together. Consider the dynamics of the same type of double-endo (at twice the speed) in oh, say, a 38-year-old unibody car with the shock towers cut down and a big, fat, heavy DOHC late-model motor sitting over the modded suspension.

Oh yeah, I forgot; that wouldn't happen to you - you're an experienced racer! :rolleyes: The second paragraph in the third post is just for you. :p

Some people will never "get it" 'til it gets them :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.