• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum

CEL on my 97 cobra is killing me! C&L?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lang williams
  • Start date Start date May 25, 2009
L

lang williams

New Member
Jun 11, 2003
567
0
0
cleveland, oh
May 25, 2009
#1
  • May 25, 2009
  • #1
HI, I just picked up a 97 cobra with 90K on it. I didn't no it had a CEL because the bulb was blown until I tried to pass E check. I get codes p0171 an 0174. It idles great and runs smooth. I've sprayed around the intake and vacuum lines with TB cleaner an it doesn't change the idle, I changed the fuel filter. The Previous owner said he had a new H pipe put on, it appears to be a stock style one with 4 cats so I don't think thats the problem. The PO also put a c&l air meter on, I've heard of people having problems with the c&l's could this be causing my problem? I didn't get the stock one to try swaping it back. I don't have a tuner or i'd try turning the rear o2 sensors off to see if exhaust is getting through the cats faster than stock an triping the code. any thoughts? THANKS!
 

JOEGTS

New Member
Jul 23, 2005
153
0
0
Port Saint Lucie, FL
May 25, 2009
#2
  • May 25, 2009
  • #2
Try pulling the actual air flow meter out and see if the hot wire part is dirty with oil crud. If so clean with electrical parts cleaner or brake cleaner.
 
L

lang williams

New Member
Jun 11, 2003
567
0
0
cleveland, oh
May 25, 2009
#3
  • May 25, 2009
  • #3
it looked clean, i bought some sensor cleaner an cleaned it. it idles at 900 nice an steady.
 
B

Blown Spring GT

Member
Apr 12, 2003
175
0
16
Spencer OH.
May 27, 2009
#4
  • May 27, 2009
  • #4
I see those codes all the time on Mustangs. Look for a split pcv hose or a vac. line cracked. The 90 deg bends on the rubber hose dry rot and leak that will throw lean codes.
 
L

lang williams

New Member
Jun 11, 2003
567
0
0
cleveland, oh
Jun 4, 2009
#5
  • Jun 4, 2009
  • #5
I swapped the C&L for a used stock mass air meter an problem solved.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
385
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
'96 Cobra: A/C gets weak and engine misfires under load when warm
  • jruhnke
  • Oct 22, 2025
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
2
Views
389
SVT Tech Forum Nov 20, 2025
nickyb
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
441
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Looking forward to collaborating with my new community
  • phil2001svt
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
10
Views
191
The Welcome Wagon Sunday at 7:56 PM
DadLife0724
SURGING IDLE / NO IDLE CHECKLIST FOR 1996–1998 MUSTANG GT (4.6L 2V) - Work In Progress
  • Noobz347
  • Aug 30, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
911
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2025
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?