CEL P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Malfunction

BlackArtemis

Dated 4 Amandas. Nothing special. Got the job done
Founding Member
Sep 23, 2002
West Chester, PA
Ok, so how would you tackle this? It could be the sensor, a fuse, the fuel pump, etc.

The engine turns over, but it won't catch, it was starting up back before Christmas.

I am wanting to sell this car so I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible.
I already replaced the battery, it was the original, not bad for 10 years but now I wonder if I needed to...

Swap out the sensor for a used on at $20 and if it works, great, if not, what should be my next step?

• Sponsors (?)

The zero cost way to rule in/out the fuel pressure sensor is to monitor the fuel pressure with an ODB2 scanner. The pressure should be around 40 PSI (+/- 3-5).

Double the fuses before getting in too deep. Especially F2.2 and F2.8.

Assuming that the theft light isn't blinking during cranking. Have you tried unlocking the driver's door with the key? Or used the remote key FOB to lock/unlock the door?

Keys work fine, as does my stereo, power isn't an issue anymore.
Can I use my SCT to measure the fuel pressure?
I ordered the pressure sensor because it was so damn cheap and the only one at that price on ebay. I'd rather be out $20 than have to buy a new one.

If I say, "yes the SCT can monitor ODB2 operational PIDS", is your next question going to be how?

I was under the impression that all tuners (except the budget flash only tuners) can data log ODB2 PIDS. Each tuner has their own procedure. Have you looked at the manual?

No, I realized after I asked you it was a question I should have googled...

I was able to get the log up and going and what I believe was the fuel pressure, FPCD, (sorry noob here) was coming in at 0.5-.75
Again, the car won't catch and start. Tomorrow I will replace the fuses and try again. If not, then the FP sensor is on it's way, and if that's not it I am going to need a new fuel pump.

The only pain in the ass for me is that I need to be out of the country by the end of the month and can't waste time waiting on parts, but they are much cheaper online :/

She's been sitting for a long time, had plans on getting her back up to 100% and a respray this summer, but plans changed.

Are you sure it's not FPDC (Fuel pump duty cycle)? In any case, not likely the PID needed.

Do you have a full list of SCT PID's to review?

Do you hear the fuel pump run at initial key on? Have you confirmed +12 volts at the trunk mounted IFS switch with the key on? If no voltage the problem is in the CCRM or ignition switch.

Have you double checked the fuel pressure sensor electrical connector? Is it clean and tight? Post the voltage between the BN/WH and GY/RD wire. Should be about 5 volts with the key on.

Post the voltage between the RD/PK and GY/RD wire with the key on. This should be the fuel pressure signal return. The Ford service manual says the KOEO value should be about 3.7 volts.

While you are at it, data log RPM's. This will confirm a good CKP sensor which is a "no start" sensor.