change manual steering to power steering

earlytime66

Apr 15, 2008
I have a 66 mustang with a inline 6, auto trans. I want to change from manual steering to power steering. What parts will I need to do this and also what other vehicles are interchangeable with it?

Thanks Mike

• Sponsors (?)

THat depends. Are you keeping the 4 lug setup or do you want to converyt to the 5 lug setup for the wheels? You can probably find a 6 cyl P/S setup pretty cheap, but if you ever want to go to 5 lug and/or a V8, it would be easier to convert the whole mess. I regret not doing that to mine. I should have trashed the whole front suspension, and put a whole V8 steering gear under it. If you want to stay vintage, the hard part is the V8 P/S center link. Expensive new, can be found used sometimes. Unless you have a doner car.

earlytime66, if your are in the california area, and are interested in changing to the V8 PS system. I've got a complete (missing crank pulley and a few bolts) system with pump, pump bracket, centerlink/valve assy, tie rod ends etc. they are all in very good condition. We replaced the PS with a TCP R&P.