Checking fuel pressure

gabe3586

Aug 22, 2005
Im in the process of checking my fuel pressure because I am pulling up codes 87, and 96 and am running lean. I rented a fuel pressure checker from Autozone and it didnt come with any instructions. I hooked the gauge up to the shradder valve, unplugged the vacuum line from the FPR. My question is, theres a clear plastic line coming off of the autozone gauge and when I press the button its connected to it squirts out gas, should I leave this alone? Also the gauge is reading pretty high and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that im low on gas? And should I cap off the stem were the vacuum plugs into the FPR?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel level is of no concern. You should see just under 40 PSI on the gauge as you have it connected now.
If you reconnect the vac line to the FPR, look for about 6 PSI less.

I would plug the rubber vac line that went to the FPR. I generally just use my finger.

The clear line should be a purge line for the tester. You press the button and drain the gas in the line into a container before you remove the tester. Otherwise you get a fuel bath.

Good luck.