Clicking/thumping near left front

optionizerSS

Apr 23, 2023
Looking to possibly buy a 1995 Mustang GT 5.0 automatic convertible. Drove it last night and have a clicking or thumping under moderate braking and moderate acceleration. I can slightly feel it in my right foot under acceleration. Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? Initial thoughts are possibly ball joint or bushings? Motor or trans mount? It doesn't do it every time. If I roll to a stop under easy brake pressure or pull out under easy acceleration it doesn't do it. Car is 100% stock as far as I can tell.
Hard to tell without crawling all over it but I don't own it yet so limited to what I can do. I used to drag race back in the 90's and built my own cars and engines so not afraid to get dirty so I'm ok with fixing any of these small issues. He did just have new struts put on it recently.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

More issues means lower price when bargaining. As long as your willing to fix it. As to what it might be....probably not motor or trans mounts, those only clunk under accel. I'd lean toward suspension especially if work was done recently, not so much ball joint but bushings and strut plates is where I'd look.

Yeah it's currently owned by a 70 year old man. Has a few small issues but I got him down $3000 from what he was asking (he wanted $12,000). Has a small area where clear coat is starting to flake. That will be the biggest issue since I'm not a body man. Air bag light is on so possible clock spring. The clunk I mentioned and drivers power seat is sluggish. Needs an alignment too as the steering wheel is off a little. Thats about it. Has stock tires and wheels that I would like to upgrade but thats all I plan to do to it. It will mainly be my wifes car but I will drive it quite a bit too

Gas pedal pivot bushing? Has the car been sitting a while?
Don't think it is gas pedal related since it does it on braking too. But only moderate or heavier braking/accelerating. No noise at all if you stop or go very slowly. Not sure if it has been sitting awhile. The guy is selling cause he has a bad back and has trouble getting out of the car so doesn't drive it much anymore

I was a brake and front end guy for years. I got paid to find and solve this type of problem. Here is the thought process.
Noise occurs on moderate to hard acceleration-look at the power train, mounts, drive line, rear suspension on RWD and front suspension on FWD.
Noise occurs on braking look at the brakes and front suspension.
Noise occurs on accel and braking look at what moves when weight transfers.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a brake and front end guy for years. I got paid to find and solve this type of problem. Here is the thought process.
Noise occurs on moderate to hard acceleration-look at the power train, mounts, drive line, rear suspension on RWD and front suspension on FWD.
Noise occurs on braking look at the brakes and front suspension.
Noise occurs on accel and braking look at what moves when weight transfers.
Good info and exactly what I have been thinking. Something is moving when momentum shifts hard enough in either direction. 99% sure it is in the front end and recently had the struts replaced so that will be the first thing I check. Seller said he never noticed it so who knows how long it has been there. But I am pretty meticulous when it comes to my cars so maybe he didn't notice it but my OCD picked it up...lol.

Supposed to be picking the car up tomorrow. I will post pics once it's home. Don't want to jinx anything. I think I got a fair deal. Not great but don't think I overpaid either. Seller thinks I got a steal but I think he was way overpriced...lol

I bet you find that the strut nut isn't tight where it pokes through under the hood. IIRC the top of the strut shaft had a flat that mated up in the strut tower. if you missed it the strut nut would be tight with barely a thread showing past the nut. driving it like that for a while and the strut finds the hole and poof you have a clunk. Open the hood and bounce the car while watching the strut nut, I think you'll find your answer.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users