clutch fried at 700 miles

5.0alltheway

Mar 30, 2005
carolina
got my 85 gt back on the road a couple weeks ago ,mods are 40ps milled .040 ported polished ccd,mac shortys,bbk x,670 street avenger,edelbrock performer,stock cam,flows,410s,bm shifter.i bought a stock replacement 10" clutch.if you launch at 2500 and shift at 5000 it slips like hell!!!!!!only slips in 3rd,that i can tell,it roasts tires hard until 3rd.any help would be appreciated.today i picked up a flywheel from a 88,should i upgrade to that while i am replacing?? :fuss:

• Sponsors (?)

im not sure what you expected. you did some mods and did not upgrade the clutch (stock replacement, right)?

i replaced my stock clutch with a king cobra clutch kit and picked up 2 tenths even though my 60ft. time stayed the same. Im still getting used to the new clutch coming out of the hole.

i did have the 10" turned,will have the 88 wheel turned tomorrow.i dont understand why it only slips in 3rd.the guy at the parts shop is going to replace w/new one made by zoom,says its kevlar,it costs 240.00,but for my trouble he gonna swap for 100.00.off subject ,what kinda torque/hp #s are you guys seeing from the gt40ps.i have had 4 other stangs ,all with mods,but this is the fisrt time w/stock cam,i am really impressed.going to the strip when i get the bugs worked out. :flag:

the 85 flywheels are ten inch, and the 86+ ones are 10.5. Trade your old one in at napa, and tell em you want an 86, they stock resurfaced ones. $30 upgrade.

As mentioned, don't drive your car hard for 500 miles. I agree that you likely made too much power for that old clutch, however, your adjustment could still be ****ed.

http://50stangs.com/techarticles/clutchcableadjustment.html

that should answer all your clutch adjustment/quadrant questions.