Cobra factory troubles.

V.E.

Mar 7, 2012
Howdy everyone. So, I'm doing an underdrive pulley installation on my 96 GT and realized about halfway through that my GT had something a little extra installed on it. The part in the picture is (I think) the factory timing adjustment device that came stock on the SN95 Cobras. That's all fine and dandy. We decided to unplug it, install the underdrive pulleys, and move on with our lives. As you may have guessed, the vehicle barely turned over, didn't start, and started backfiring through the intake manifold. Or that's what it sounded like. Timing problems much? We re-installed the factory pulleys, plugged the timing adjuster back in, and it ran just fine. Here's my problem; we want to remove the timing adjuster assembly (including associated wiring) completely. It's an upgrade we don't plan on using, it looks poorly retro-fitted and shady, and it's not like we're not toying with the timing with a handheld tuner anyways. Problem is, we can't find jack on how this upgrade gets done in the first place, much less how to remove it. This is a factory Cobra thing, right? Steeda and wikipedia seemed to think so. Anyone got any info?

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-03-07_19-23-44_389.jpg
    Resampled_2012-03-07_19-23-44_389.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Sponsors (?)

Nah It's not a steeda timing adjuster. I really have no idea what company made it, it has ford stamped on it though! lol. Im gonna try finding the factory location of the timing sensor and seeing if i can get that back up

Nah It's not a steeda timing adjuster. I really have no idea what company made it, it has ford stamped on it though! lol. Im gonna try finding the factory location of the timing sensor and seeing if i can get that back up

It's a Steeda timing adjuster:

p65300_image_large.jpg

Look for "Steeda" in the mounting bracket.

I'm guessing the part that has "Ford" on it is the crank position sensor (the black plastic thingy with the wires...) That's factory.

Remove it and the bracket will uncover the original hole in the timing cover for the crank position sensor. Slip it back in and you should be good to go...

Like the above post says, you should be able to remove it and stick the crankshaft ps sensor back in and continue with your day.

Did the 4v's actually come with something like this from the factory?