• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Cobra Has Grinding Sound In Rear

  • Thread starter Thread starter SPICOLI
  • Start date Start date Feb 20, 2004
S

SPICOLI

New Member
Feb 10, 2004
6
0
0
Edwards California
Feb 20, 2004
#1
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #1
Hello all,
I have a 98 Cobra and have had a problem with a grinding noise coming from, what sounds like the rear differential...It only, I repeat only does it when I am going over 55mph and let off the gas or push in the clutch (basically only when the drivetrain has slack and no load on it) It has been doing this for about 4000 miles and I am ready to get it fixed...The car has been lowered 2 1/2 all the way around, it has bump steering, caster camber plates, aftermarket upper and lower control arms and blistien or eibach shocks (dont remember) Also have the hard polyeurethane bushings all through the suspension..I have pulled the read diff. cover and changed oil, the gears look fine..I am thinking that the front bearing on the rear diff where the driveshaft goes to is bad...Anyone had similar problems?? Think it has anything to do with the car being lowered? Thanks, Ron
 
E

edwardohaskillo

New Member
Nov 24, 2003
120
0
0
The Land of Milk and Honey
Feb 20, 2004
#2
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #2
Doubt it is from the lowering. Though 2.5" IS a lot. I would inspect the u joints rrrreeeaaaalllyyy carefully if I were you. Especially the front. I've heard they have king cobras in Thailand that can do all sorts of tricks, like open a beer etc. But you don't won't to have the first cobra to learn how to pole vault.

Imagine that lowered rear being suddenly 3 ft off the road...at 70 mph!

Anyway, other than that I have no other advice. Good luck, and maybe do some searches on this and other forums.


cool "call sign" by the way.
 
R

Roush21

New Member
Dec 31, 2003
348
0
0
Feb 21, 2004
#3
  • Feb 21, 2004
  • #3
SPICOLI said:
Hello all,
I have a 98 Cobra and have had a problem with a grinding noise coming from, what sounds like the rear differential...It only, I repeat only does it when I am going over 55mph and let off the gas or push in the clutch (basically only when the drivetrain has slack and no load on it) It has been doing this for about 4000 miles and I am ready to get it fixed...The car has been lowered 2 1/2 all the way around, it has bump steering, caster camber plates, aftermarket upper and lower control arms and blistien or eibach shocks (dont remember) Also have the hard polyeurethane bushings all through the suspension..I have pulled the read diff. cover and changed oil, the gears look fine..I am thinking that the front bearing on the rear diff where the driveshaft goes to is bad...Anyone had similar problems?? Think it has anything to do with the car being lowered? Thanks, Ron
Click to expand...

Dude I also have a 98 cobra and have the same exact thing going on. I am having my U joints replaced right now as we speak. Replace ur u joints dude thats definetly what it is. My car did it when i reached the same 55-60 mph and let off the gas, sounds like a humming and you can feel it coming from the rear right? I thought it was the gears too but its not its the U joints. I went to autozone and got some Brute Force HD U joints (LIFETIME WARRANTY) for $13.99. Make sure you get the front and back, better to do them both when you got your driveshaft off dude. Later
 
R

Roush21

New Member
Dec 31, 2003
348
0
0
Feb 21, 2004
#4
  • Feb 21, 2004
  • #4
Roush21 said:
Dude I also have a 98 cobra and have the same exact thing going on. I am having my U joints replaced right now as we speak. Replace ur u joints dude thats definetly what it is. My car did it when i reached the same 55-60 mph and let off the gas, sounds like a humming and you can feel it coming from the rear right? I thought it was the gears too but its not its the U joints. I went to autozone and got some Brute Force HD U joints (LIFETIME WARRANTY) for $13.99. Make sure you get the front and back, better to do them both when you got your driveshaft off dude. Later
Click to expand...


Hey I even found the part # for you (How nice am I???) For the Brute Force HD U joint part # is 2-4800BF go to autozone $13.99 a piece man, thats awesome and comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY so keep the reciept man.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Clicking sound from driveshaft/rear differential
  • matthewt
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
2
Views
145
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Aug 28, 2026
matthewt
Drivetrain Rear end clunk
  • seanmahoney
  • Oct 13, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
472
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 13, 2025
nickyb
F
For Sale 03 Redfire Cobra Convertible
  • FastFox5oh
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04)
Replies
0
Views
237
SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) Jul 14, 2026
FastFox5oh
F
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
349
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
200
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?