• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Cobra Replica Intake

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mafia Mustang
  • Start date Start date Dec 30, 2006
M

Mafia Mustang

Member
Sep 17, 2006
111
0
17
Arizona
Dec 30, 2006
#1
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #1
Hey guys,

I bought a polished cobra replica intake for my 1990 5.0 I installed it on the engine I had just built and it leaked coolant out of my exhaust when I started it . I suspected it to be the heads or the block so I got an 86 block with the heads on it and installed the intake and when i started it the same thing ( talk about a bummer lol ) so I think the lower intake was machined wrong or something .
well i just bought a gt 40 lower intake off e bay will the upper intake bolt to this??

Thanks you guys I value your input.:SNSign:
 
G

GTOreturns

Well-Known Member
Oct 1, 2003
51
17
59
West Coast Best Coast
Dec 30, 2006
#2
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #2
yeah I think there the same.
 
F

fritzPSD

New Member
Jun 19, 2006
6
0
0
Utah
Dec 30, 2006
#3
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #3
yes a GT-40 and Cobra lower intake are the same.
 

4G-KDMP

10 Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
935
19
39
CA
Dec 30, 2006
#4
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #4
Mafia Mustang said:
Hey guys,

I bought a polished cobra replica intake for my 1990 5.0 I installed it on the engine I had just built and it leaked coolant out of my exhaust when I started it . I suspected it to be the heads or the block so I got an 86 block with the heads on it and installed the intake and when i started it the same thing ( talk about a bummer lol ) so I think the lower intake was machined wrong or something .
well i just bought a gt 40 lower intake off e bay will the upper intake bolt to this??

Thanks you guys I value your input.:SNSign:
Click to expand...
it will bolt right up.
 
7

71swing

Member
Aug 18, 2006
199
0
17
Omaha,NE
Dec 30, 2006
#5
  • Dec 30, 2006
  • #5
I would find the source of the problem before investing more money. What if it is not the intake. Then you just bought a gt40 lower which is the same as the one you have for nothing. would be a waste of a few 100$.

FOR EXSAMPLE: back in day when I was rebuilding my motor out of my first mustang. I made the mistake of hooking the coolent line for the back of the egr spacer to a vacumm sorce for the intake. It sucked the water right out the tail pipe.

So I took it all back apart to find the problem. I rebuilt this same motor three time in 2 days to only find out that I had 2 hoses switched around.
 

Blandnuts

I don't swallow; I only swoosh
Founding Member
Aug 21, 2000
1,172
124
124
FloorDuh
Dec 31, 2006
#6
  • Dec 31, 2006
  • #6
Listen to what 71swing said.... Check those coolant hoses

The coolant tube on the passenger side lower intake would need to be capped off. You don't have the spacer on the cobra intake that's found on the regular 5.0 intake. This spacer has collant running through it, so you might of hooked these up to a vacuum line.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Resolved 1999 cobra removed lower intake manifold to crossovertube
  • hvcobra99
  • Sep 6, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
0
Views
113
SVT Tech Forum Sep 6, 2026
hvcobra99
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
485
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
M
2001 cobra coolant crossover delete
  • Mike3
  • Jul 5, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
4
Views
238
SVT Tech Forum Jul 12, 2026
Mike3
M
Engine 87 NA - Tune or no Tune needed?
  • R82148V
  • Sep 17, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
430
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 17, 2025
R82148V
S
Mach 1 iac valve in a 4.6 gt
  • solodriverz
  • Jun 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
144
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 5, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?