Collapsable Steering Column Options

I just moved up to the Napa wine country, and it seems like everyday there is a story about someone getting killed in a head-on collision.

Aside from avoiding the Yuppies and Hippies, I'd also like to lessen the likelyhood of the "death spear" from my stock steering column.

I just want to know my options for what will fit and what will be a safe replacement. Ive looked into Flamming River's Tilt/Collapsable column, but havent seen much else out there.

I dont want to cut and fabricate a whole new firewall, so a weekend repalcement would be preferable. I also plan on using a Lecarra wheel, not the stock one.

What other column setups have you guys seen?

• Sponsors (?)

They started putting them in Mustangs in 68 so that is a option. I don't know how hard it would be to wire in though. As far as I knoe, the Flaming River unit is NOT collapsible.

Call Flaming River. Before I got a '68 tilt column for my '67 I talked to FR and they said I could special order a collapsible Mustang column. You will pay full retail and have to wait 3-4 weeks.

well, a guy in town was parting out a 68 falcon futura. it had a collapsible column, so i pulled it out.

looks like the issues i will have to address are removing the column shifter, securing the upper section to the cowl and dash, and wiring the turn signals up.

can anyone explain to me the difference between a 65-66 box and a 67-68 box? flamming river said something about long shaft or short shaft. ???

The boxes are the same, except one has a short shaft that connects to the column with a rag joint.

The other one (the one you have) has a long shaft that is solid to the steering wheel.

The short/long box will both bolt up.

IMHO the old collapsible column form the late 60’s is not any better than having some universal links in the shaft that should bind and break in an impact.

I plan on using a tilt column from an '86 Mustang in mine. I have no idea how easy/difficult the project will be since I haven't started yet. I like the '86 Mustang GT steering wheel (3 spoke with center Ford emblem), it has tilt, no air bag...

Jester67:
IMHO the old collapsible column form the late 60’s is not any better than having some universal links in the shaft that should bind and break in an impact.

Could you please explain what you mean? I'm not sure I understand.

Also, the column it pulled has a rubber flange that connects the shaft to the steering box. I dont know if this is called a rag-joint.

Rag joint:

brg990009-lg.jpg

Attachments

• brg990009-lg.jpg
    brg990009-lg.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 107
The old collapsible columns are not designed like they are today with two splined shafts mated together the old system has a section of swaged tube in the middle that is suppose to collapse when an impact occurs. What I was talking about is adding some universal joints like used on the R&P conversions this would allow the shaft to change angles and no longer be ridged.

I plan on using a tilt column from an '86 Mustang in mine. I have no idea how easy/difficult the project will be since I haven't started yet. I like the '86 Mustang GT steering wheel (3 spoke with center Ford emblem), it has tilt, no air bag...

I've been scoping out the system in my 97 stang as a possibility.
It has the swaged sections like Jester is talking about for collapse protection, and has somewhat of a bearing at the firewall to support it.
Seems to me like that could be pretty easily tied to a cut-down "spear", with either a rag joint or a universal joint.
Has anybody seen this done before?

The old collapsible columns are not designed like they are today with two splined shafts mated together the old system has a section of swaged tube in the middle that is suppose to collapse when an impact occurs. What I was talking about is adding some universal joints like used on the R&P conversions this would allow the shaft to change angles and no longer be ridged.

Inside the steering column there is a male and female "double D" shaft that can slide in and out and still turn together. This is the exact same technology still in use today. The rag joint was put there to absorb vibration, whereas a regular u-joint will transmit the vibration to the steering wheel. There are special steering u-joints available with a poly dampener built in that will last forever compared to a rag joint.

Inside the steering column there is a male and female "double D" shaft that can slide in and out and still turn together. This is the exact same technology still in use today. The rag joint was put there to absorb vibration, whereas a regular u-joint will transmit the vibration to the steering wheel. There are special steering u-joints available with a poly dampener built in that will last forever compared to a rag joint.

I do not think that the 68 one I looked at had the double D but I have been wrong before.