compressor and impact wrench question

mustangfiveo198

Founding Member
May 20, 2002
Driving my STANG
Here is my question:
I have a craftsman 1.5hp , 15 gal. compressor. That gives out 3.5 scfm @ 90 psi. I have a central pneumatic impact wrench rated at 250 ft. lbs.
I tried to take off a lug nut and nothing happened..........didn't even turn it.
Is my compressor good enough? Is the impact wrench good enough? Or what?
Any feed back would be great.
thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure you actually have the pressure turned up. I have a craftsman 30gal and you have to turn it on, let it build up 140 psi (you can turn the pressure up, but it won't stop running unless it has 140psi) and then I turn the pressure to whatever I want and go.

The compressor will run the impact , but not for long. The Habor Freight air tools aren't the best, but will do for home use. Turn the air pressure up to 125-140 PSI and you may have better results. The typical tire shop uses an Ingersol-Rand or Chicago Pneumatic impact running at 150-175 PSI, so the nuts are extremely tight.

I agree. Some air tools are a LOT more efficient than others.

My experience with a small compressor: WAY back when (before this stuff was common), I had a 3/4 HP compressor and a 15 gallon tank that I rigged up with an external regulator and lines to fill said tank (they were separate units). When I'd go to remove a fastener that was at a tight spec, but that had corroded on, I was SOL. The bolt came out at a lot more than the spec torque.

Good luck.

I run a older 18Gal Craftsman compressor set at 100PSI and a Chicago Pneumatic impact and have no problems with lugnuts on any vehicle.

Didn't have the compressor when I rotated the tires on the wife's car for the first time. Lugs from the factory are also on pretty good. I wonder if my 100PSI would have worked....?

I'll be honest I have a Coleman Powermate direct drive 6hp 125psi 27 gallon unit. I was skeptical as all hell when I first started looking at it, but wow bang for the buck, I couldn't even run it dry with an air sander I Love it! the only thing is, because its direct drive, its louder than your average compressor. So if you are looking to get into a new compressor its worth a look.