• Community Forums
  • Regional Forums and Event Information

Considering a Mustang GT

  • Thread starter Thread starter SRMobile
  • Start date Start date Jun 1, 2004
S

SRMobile

Trend Micro poster child
Jun 1, 2004
0
0
16
Jun 1, 2004
#1
  • Jun 1, 2004
  • #1
Hi,

I'm looking into a Mustang GT (1999 - 2003)and would like some insight as I plan to use this car all year round rain or snow.

Ive been looking at both the GT Coupe and the GT Convertible. I told myself if I were to ever buy a Mustang it would have to be a convertible.

So I'd like to hear from both people who have the convertible and coupe that have driven it in the snow.

Convertible: Any leaking issues ? How is it in the winter ? Is it worth the extra money ?

Coupe: How is it in the winter ?

Thanks in advance!

PS I'm from the Montreal area.
 

mrbeer99

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2002
77
0
0
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Jun 1, 2004
#2
  • Jun 1, 2004
  • #2
Welcome to the Message Board.

IMHO, city driving the Late Model GTs is not as bad as some of Southerly USA Neighbours might think.

I have owned two Mustangs previous to the one I have now and drove those two mustangs in the Winter. (After I got married, I no longer needed to drive the thrid one) After 7 years of driving in the city, I only managed to get stuck like 4 times and three of those were right outside my house at the end of my driveway, trying to get in or out from my house before the plow went by. If you lived in an area where they don't plow or salt often, then I would consider something else.

Rule #1) Nothing Beats a Great set of Winter Tires and Rims. Like Drag Racing & Tim Allen, you get the right tool for the right job. A Great set of winter tires will help you Greatly. Research a good set of Winter Tires, spare no expense for a well designed, good quality set of winter tires. I can't emphasize that enough.

2) Drive SLOW, If I had $1 for every SUV I saw in the ditch on a bad winter day while I was driving by in my Mustang, I would be a rich man. Some people in SUVs, are a little over confident since they own a 4x4, they think they can't loose control. The Mustang may have a light a$$, but it can be controled with better driving technique. City Driving is different than driving on rural covered roads. In the city they Salt and Salt and then Salt again, so the roads are good on some of the worst days. Traction Control can help if you know how to use it, but it will sometimes get in the way. I was out on the roads, in my Mustang, on the day of the Ice Storm, seeing everyone in the ditch while I was just fine in the stang. But I was only going 20 km/h or less.

3) Nothing beats a few sand bags in the trunk and other Emergency equipment (shovel) for the "Just In Case" factor. Be Canadian, get out and Shovel.

Our parents seemed to have gotten through Canadian Winters with worse cars than a Late Model Mustang without to many serious problems. Although I recognise that cars back then were a fraction of what a GT costs these days. So, if you dinged a door, no big deal.

Or spend $500 and get a Winter Beater. A good set of Winter Tires will cost you about the same anyway. But you need the space for both cars.

I hope this helps.
 
S

SRMobile

Trend Micro poster child
Jun 1, 2004
0
0
16
Jun 13, 2004
#3
  • Jun 13, 2004
  • #3
MRBEER,

Thanks for your help, I didnt forget about this post, I was just weighing everything out and now I am the new owner of a 2003 Vertible GT 5 speed

After driving it around for 3 days now, I dont know if I'd want to drive this baby in the winter.. Im sure I could get away with it with the proper tires and sand bags, but Id be pretty pissed if something happend, not to mention all the road salt and sand they use here in Quebec. I guess we will see what happens,

Thanks again!

Cheers,
 

Stangfreak95

add a 4
Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
3,571
0
0
In your sister. If none, your mom
Jun 13, 2004
#4
  • Jun 13, 2004
  • #4
SRMobile said:
MRBEER,

Thanks for your help, I didnt forget about this post, I was just weighing everything out and now I am the new owner of a 2003 Vertible GT 5 speed

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Click to expand...

Congrats on your new toy !

After driving it around for 3 days now, I dont know if I'd want to drive this baby in the winter.. Im sure I could get away with it with the proper tires and sand bags, but Id be pretty pissed if something happend, not to mention all the road salt and sand they use here in Quebec. I guess we will see what happens,
Click to expand...

Now you understand Mustang+winter=
 

zoma

Founding Member
May 22, 2002
807
0
16
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Jun 13, 2004
#5
  • Jun 13, 2004
  • #5
rusty thunderbird + winter = donuts in ice covered parking lots .

Its like a mustang, but without the love and attachment!
 

mpcv2000

Active Member
Jul 29, 2002
2,371
0
47
Montreal , Quebec !
Jun 13, 2004
#6
  • Jun 13, 2004
  • #6
I drove my car only for one winter and it was awesone , no problem at all , I own a 2000 GT convertible , but the thing is : the winter I drove it I was living in Florida...



Congrats on the new ride , now let's start modding it...

1st : Gears !

2nd : I hope you got a stick car cause the convertible are heavy and slower then a Coupe so gears ( 3.73 Stick & 4.10 Auto ).

3rd : Shifter if it's stick .

4rd : Pulleys .

5th : Chip to fix the rear end gear change and lean the car out( air Fuel ratio ) plus add some timing a bit so you'll be able to free up around 10 RWHP .

6th : I forgot the Cat Back , this will be mostly for sound but when you own a V8 you must hear it a bit. 2 1/2" tube with 3" to 3 1/2" tips.

The list can go on and on for hours but what the hell , this is why we buy these cars , we like to mod them..
 
S

SRMobile

Trend Micro poster child
Jun 1, 2004
0
0
16
Jun 14, 2004
#7
  • Jun 14, 2004
  • #7
hehe,

You'll be happy to know that I got the 5 speed and have a superchip left over from a previous ford vehicle (y) where is the computer code located ?. I read somewhere that there is a dealer flash that could be done to upgrade the power.


What do the gears go for ?

Thanks
 

zoma

Founding Member
May 22, 2002
807
0
16
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Jun 14, 2004
#8
  • Jun 14, 2004
  • #8
mpcv2000 said:
2nd : I hope you got a stick car cause the convertible are heavy and slower then a Coupe so gears ( 3.73 Stick & 4.10 Auto ).

3rd : Shifter if it's stick .
Click to expand...

If it is auto, some things to keep in mind:

1) Slapping a 4.10 in an automatic with no calibration done is gonna end up having you slap the rev limiter all over the place

2) Shift kit before gears. That way you can get away without a computer calibration in some cases (like me with my 3.73's).

3) Good stall torque converter.

4) Once you have all that on the auto, heck go get a shifter too. B&M hammer shifter is real perdy on the console, is definitely my shifter of choice for aod and above auto trannies.
 

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
457
0
48
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Jun 14, 2004
#9
  • Jun 14, 2004
  • #9
Well that was my first winter with my license\car\mustang... and I stored my Mustang... Best thing i've ever made... I would be crying to see my stang getting eaten alive by salt.... As for the traction, bah, I had a Camaro T-top 1985 for winter... and i had no problem at all with traction (well somes but minors...) sooo i'm sure my SN95 handle better in snow then my camaro 85.

Just my .02 cents bro, congrats on the new car
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
Door pull panels, convertible versus coupe
  • lenzgt
  • Jun 25, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
158
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
E
  • Sticky
2003 Mustang GT convertible water leak
  • Eightiesrock1980
  • Jul 27, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
234
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 28, 2026
Noobz347
D
Hey Ya'll from the North Georgia mountains
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
7
Views
183
The Welcome Wagon Sep 12, 2026
General karthief
L
Coupe seats in a convertible?
  • lparsons42
  • Aug 5, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
242
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
S
For Sale 2007 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE/137,797 MI/ 20,000+MI NEW ENGINE/BRAND NEW TIRES/$4500 OBO/WAUKEGAN, IL
  • Savage21!
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14)
Replies
0
Views
155
S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) Sep 10, 2026
Savage21!
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Community Forums
  • Regional Forums and Event Information
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?