Constant Dinging from behind Dash (not airbag)

jclaudii

Aug 18, 2008
This is my first post on this site, so please take it easy on me, I know my way around a 5.0 fairly well.

I was driving home the other day when it started to rain so I turned my wipers on and my lights (it's the law here). Well as soon as I turned my lights on, my car starts beeping. No the air bag beep, but the door chime ding. It is constant. ding, ding, ding, ding....forever. It only stops when I turn the lights off. So I pull over and check all my lights. All are working, turns work, I did find that I have a high beam bulb out, but I usually run low beam.

So I fiddled under the dash a minute to find a white box behind the knee bolster area. This is what makes the door ding sounds, seat belt warning, left lights on when key is out, etc. Well I pulled a wire on it to make it stop so I could continue on my way home, but it did light up the seatbelt light. I went ahead and plugged it back in this morning, but it still makes the sound.

Anyone have a clue of what is going on, why does it constantly beep when the lights are on?

Thanks,
jclaudii

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry, It's a 92 mustang gt convertible. I believe so, because it beeps when the door is open and lights are on (key off), on either side and it stops when the doors or shut. My rear view is in the back seat, I need to put that back on for interior lights. Arkansas heat makes it fall off each year. This year it took some windshield with it :)

I'm confused. At first it was making noise when the lights were on and the door was closed, but now it doesnt make noise if the lights are on and the door is closed?

I think I confused you.

It makes noise whenever the lights are on and the key is on. The car always dings when the door is open and lights are on. I'm going to start looking at the wiring diagram in the back of my haynes and see if I can spot anything. I'll have to keep looking I guess.

Is it the same ding you get if you have the car running and the door open? Does your car do that? The door switches go after a while, and they can act weirdly as they go.

Replace them. Get them either at the dealer or NAPA can order them. On my T-bird, it did something similar when my door switch went. The switch must have been making very poor contact. And, when I put on the lights, there must have been just enough voltage drop to sometimes trigger the "door ajar" warning. Very weird!

After you find and fix the problem, let us know for future reference!
Good Luck!