Convertible Rear Quarter window help

subcreep

Dec 1, 2003
Jax, FL
I have a problem with both rear quarter windows in my '92 LX. When I click down on the window switches the windows go down, but neither window will come back up. I can hear the motor running, but the windows don't even flinch. I ran across another thread that discussed this problem (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=409243&highlight=rear+quarter+windows), but I still have some questions.

1.) I do not have switches on my rear speaker grilles for the rear quarter windows. When I remove the speaker grilles I do not see the motor.

2.) I tried to remove the whole rear quarter interior piece, but it almost seems like I have to take out the whole rear seat to get the thing out.

3.) With all of the hurricanes that have been rolling through here lately, I'm going to end up having to replace my whole interior because the passenger quarter window isn't coming back up all of the way even with manual "tugging".

Is anybody familiar with repairing these windows? I'm ready to solve this problem and move on to the next (weather-stripping).

• Sponsors (?)

Mine didn't do the up/down thing,but had stopped working. The OEM bushings basically fell apart.

Ford has a replacement gear set but I went the extremely cheap route and bought a length of UHMW (plastic) rod from my local plastics shop and cut some pieces to replace the busted up bushings.

Once you pull the interior panel you should see, three nuts that hold the motor in place.

Remove these and lift the motor out from the top.

I replaced the brushes in one of motors but I don't remember if you have to pull the rotating assembly to get to the gear area.

You might be able to just remove the three screws and lift off the cover plate.

With the cover plate off you will see a greasy mess with chunks of plastic/rubber and a rounded triangle in the middle.

Clean this out as best you can.

I took some rough dimensions from one of the larger pieces and cut three pieces of rod to match.

You need to hold the three new bushings in place as the triangle is lowered back onto the gear.

I didn't get a very tight fit with the UHMW and there is some obvious play in the gears but the windows roll up and down.

The Ford replacements were like $30 or $40 and the UHMW cost about $1. I even had enough to fix three windows.

about quarter panels

similiar story, but mine was from my friends hopping in and out of my vert. they stepped on the actaul quarter panel glass when i stuck out a little and the window trac bar actaully snapped! I found an entire quarter panel setup with the window trac bar and had my loval mechanic @ NEWMANS AUTO install it. easy install... just thought i'd throw my .02 -brian