convertible top headliner

tr7driver

Sep 5, 2006
Illinois
My convertible top has developed a squeak when it is down and I go over small bumps. I figure something is loose on the frame. I want to inspect the hardware inside but first I have to figure out how to open the interior liner. Anybody know how to do this?

• Sponsors (?)

I got 11 months left on the warranty. The "good" ford dealer is about 50 miles away and I don't want to tie it up for a day or two for them to look at it. If I can't figure it out, I'll take it there. I find it easier to deal with small issues like this myself, plus it give me a better understanding of the car so once the warranty is done, I can save some cash working on it. It's not really a problem, it just irritates me. :rolleyes:

oh, those little irritants like something stuck between the teeth!! In addition the a rattle at the right corner of the top, the right visor clip does not adequately hold the visor in place. I'll save up enough irritants to see dealer. If the dash gets really rattly, I ask them to take it apart and put it back together!

Convertible top questions....

This is a question that has always been on my mind. When the convertible top is in open position, it is still tilted quite a bit upwards. Doesn't this scoop up air and cause drag? I sat in the rear seat top down while a buddy drove and I definitely felt a bit of wind getting down there. The rear seat is sheer torture to ride in top down. Do you suppose the air bounces off the seat and over the convertible area? Any aerodynamic studies?

When I go long distances, I like to put the boot cover on.

Another thing, top down, the sun really beats down on the seats (let alone myself). Has anyone tried treating the seats with a high SPF products for humans? My perma-plate pkg supposedly included UV protection of some sort but I still want some extra protection.

(Please no one say put the top up or you should have gotten a coupe.)

Thanks for the response bluecar. I can see you also would like more info on these tops. They are very high quality products.

I'm about 75% positive that a shot of graphite lube in the right spot would cure this problem. I'm amazed that no one on this forum has ever poked into how the top is put together and works.