• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Correct combo? Doesn't feel fast

  • Thread starter Thread starter V8_Kind_Of_Guy
  • Start date Start date Sep 1, 2008

V8_Kind_Of_Guy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
73
0
7
Denver, Co
Sep 1, 2008
#1
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #1
Hey everyone, new guy here. I have an '88 GT 302 5 speed but don't know if I am using the right engine combo. There is very little torque below 3000 rpm, but when 3000 comes around, it really takes off. I have raced against my friends '86 gt that only has an aluminum flywheel, gears and full exhaust. The problem is we seem to be dead even in a race. I bought this car with an Explorer upper and lower intake and Explorer heads (GT40P), 1.7 rockers, I believe a 2040 crane cam, CAI, MAF conversion, 24# injectors and a claimed '93 cobra computer. I have done a lot of other mods like smog pump and a/c delete, electric fan, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft, and 3.73 gears, 75mm TB and spacer. I also have shorty headers and full 2.5" exhaust w/cats and many more mods. I thought for sure I would just waste him in a race. I am really stumped. Any Ideas?
 
L

lang williams

New Member
Jun 11, 2003
567
0
0
cleveland, oh
Sep 1, 2008
#2
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #2
I'd try to get it on a dyno an tuned. Also do a check for vacuum leaks.
 

fivespeedsteed

20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 17, 2003
748
22
69
Richmond, VA
Sep 1, 2008
#3
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #3
dyno tuner should be of help. my friend had a 89 with stuff and it was the other way around, fast to 3k then slow, he said his injectors were wacked out, and it fixed it. try getting a tune.
 

LiquidGT

Member
Oct 8, 2007
368
0
16
Near STL hell
Sep 1, 2008
#4
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #4
Does the claimed Cobra computer have the Cobra MAF unit? The '93 Cobra's cpu was calibrated for the injectors (24#) and not the actual MAF housing computer like on 89-93 Mustangs. A Cobra cpu and Mustang mass air doesnt mix.
 

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,058
1,643
194
NJ
Sep 1, 2008
#5
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #5
Post the computer part number.
If it is a cobra computer, lose it, the cobra computer and meter do more harm than good.
The sale of those parts should fund a PMAS meter and stock 5 speed computer.

Also, you may be expecting too much, that's probably only about a 245rwhp or so setup, should be enough to show up on a timeslip, but it doesn't give a ton of SOTP feel.

Not sure of the specs on the 2040, but i'd also assume that a cam coupled with 1.7 rockers, are too much for stock valve springs.
 

TomCat

New Member
Apr 19, 2005
412
0
0
Utah
Sep 1, 2008
#6
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #6
Hmm... my gt40p setup feels pretty nice compared to a nearly stock GT. When you say you bought it with those mods, did you actually verify that the parts are there?
I've seen people claiming cobra motors and inspection shows E7s and orange-top injectors =\ Just wondering.
Hope you find what the issue is!
 
J

Jack's95gt

Member
Aug 15, 2004
443
1
18
Huntingdon Valley, PA
Sep 1, 2008
#7
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #7
The Comp Cams 2040 is the same as a E cam. With 1.7 rockers your going to see .528 lift and the GT40p heads had valve springs rated for .480, that spells out valve float and lost of power. If you have the the stock valve springs then look into upgrading them.
 

V8_Kind_Of_Guy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
73
0
7
Denver, Co
Sep 1, 2008
#8
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #8
I know the upper intake should be the Explorer as the runners are offset from one another. I have to look to check the computer part number. The heads are stamped with "GTP" and the injectors are blue top. I had checked for vacuum leaks earlier and vacuum is good.
 

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
1,761
63
69
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Sep 1, 2008
#9
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #9
I say go back to the 19's with a stock computer, and a maf off of a 94-95 gt, if its not tuned the 24's could be holding you back, Ive ran 3 different combos with these heads all with the exploder intake and either a b or e cam, and all of them we had 19's in it with no tuning and they hauled pretty well enough to waste a stocker...
 

V8_Kind_Of_Guy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
73
0
7
Denver, Co
Sep 1, 2008
#10
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #10
I just checked the computer out, it's got "A9L" in large black letters and looks brand new. The MAF says "Granatelli" on it too, just not sure of the size of it.
 

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
1,761
63
69
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Sep 1, 2008
#11
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #11
the a9l is not the "cobra" computer its just a stock computer, make sure the maf is calibrated for 24's if not get one and it should pick up alot of pep..

whats the vin on the maf ill run it for you...
 

V8_Kind_Of_Guy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
73
0
7
Denver, Co
Sep 1, 2008
#12
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #12
On the MAF, the Model, Serial, and Calib are all blank. There is something scratched in on the side really small reading "00A2275". Measuring the MAF with a tape measurer, it measures abut 3 3/8" in and 3" out. Looking online at a conversion calc, it showed 85.725mm in and 76.2mm out.
 

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
1,761
63
69
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Sep 1, 2008
#13
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #13
im finding nothing man, sorry bud..
 

V8_Kind_Of_Guy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
73
0
7
Denver, Co
Sep 1, 2008
#14
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #14
Thanks for looking. Any ideas on how to check to see if its calibrated?
 

LiquidGT

Member
Oct 8, 2007
368
0
16
Near STL hell
Sep 1, 2008
#15
  • Sep 1, 2008
  • #15
I would try to call or e-mail Granatelli to see what the maf is calibrated for.

I have nearly the same combo and its way quicker than stock, mine doesnt pick up to about 3k rpm also, but I blame that on the 273 rear end. First gear is nearly useless and second can and I can get sideways in second still.
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Sep 2, 2008
#16
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #16
I would also look into changing the aluminum flywheel back to a stock steel one. tha luminum wheel is going to suck all the low end grunt out of your car. go with an SFI steel one.
 

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,058
1,643
194
NJ
Sep 2, 2008
#17
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #17
The granitelli meter is more than likely an old pro m bullet.
And if it was miscalibrated, there would likely be more problems than a lack of power feel.

I'll agree with styklyn, an aluminum flywheel is not the best for a fairly low hp setup.
The car needs the weight to get it moving.
Removing it may make the car easier to drive too.
 
W

wtpLXfox

New Member
Jun 15, 2004
2
0
0
Sep 2, 2008
#18
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #18
I just installed the TFS top end kit with longtubes, 24# injectors, etc. and you will lose a lot of your low end grunt from the new heads and intakes. However, you gain more top end so it's a trade off. My car doesn't really start pulling until 3k and then hauls ass from 4k to 6k which is the highest I'll take it. My car is still un tuned so I wish I had the 19# back in there, but I figured I'll eventually get a dyno tune anyways.
 

LiquidGT

Member
Oct 8, 2007
368
0
16
Near STL hell
Sep 2, 2008
#19
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #19
stykthyn said:
I would also look into changing the aluminum flywheel back to a stock steel one. tha luminum wheel is going to suck all the low end grunt out of your car. go with an SFI steel one.
Click to expand...

His buddys car is the one with the aluminum flywheel.



Now I spotted that you have a 75mm tb and spacer, thats way too big for that combo. A 65mm is perfect for a mildly modded 5.0; I would go with a 65mm tb (no bigger than 70) and that should give you a little more low end.
 

V8_Kind_Of_Guy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
73
0
7
Denver, Co
Sep 2, 2008
#20
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #20
ok, I just started looking more at my car. I found that the distributor cap is in bad shape. across the terminals where the rotor swings around and makes contact to each wire, has a lot of carbon build up or whatever it is. I ordered new cap and rotor, wires and coil from summit along with a MSD 6AL, that should be in on thursday. I will deffenetly look it to a smaller TB and spacer and think about the steel flywheel again. I do like that the car feels easier to drive and a little more responsive after I had the flywheel installed.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
New guy- first Stang- I love it !!
  • smid333
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
250
The Welcome Wagon Mar 23, 2026
smid333
S
S
Engine Stalls when downshifting/coasting
  • Scott_S
  • Nov 5, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
832
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
  • Locked
Engine Might have to get a Dart block but don't want to and if I do, then 363 instead of 331. Thoughts on what I've already bought so far.......
  • from6to8
  • Jul 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
576
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2025
Noobz347
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
453
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?