custom backseat

unluckyengineer

Dec 22, 2004
Alright so I am thinking of cool new things to do with the backseat... mine is kind of rusty/moldy just not really feeling it.. 66 coupe by the way.. so anyhow I was thinking of cool things to do and I got new racing seats for the front seats so I was thinking about bolting the old front seats into the back... seemed like a decent idea.. then maybe just carpeting up the middle up to the rear tray.. and maybe even a humphugger in the middle or something.. any comments on something cooler or better? or it would work wouldn't?

• Sponsors (?)

is a little overhang that bad? I mean I guess it would really put a cram on the whole footspace thing.. hmmm so you think about any other ideas? Haha I guess shortening the base of the bucketswould be a little too much involvement..

I forget how the rear seat mounted in my '65, but I recall it not really being bolted down. You would probably have to make seat mounts if you used front buckets or modify the rear seat's frame by taking out the middle.

Hehe, my '65 also had custom front seat mounts because I'm 6'4". Without them I could barely drive the car and with the front seat all the way back, it hit the back seat.

65ShelbyClone said:
I forget how the rear seat mounted in my '65, but I recall it not really being bolted down. You would probably have to make seat mounts if you used front buckets or modify the rear seat's frame by taking out the middle.

Hehe, my '65 also had custom front seat mounts because I'm 6'4". Without them I could barely drive the car and with the front seat all the way back, it hit the back seat.

Hooks in more or less. There are 2 bolts to hold down the upper part of it.

Honestly there isn't much reason to use something other than the bench except for originality. The front buckets easily was as much or more than the bench seat. Covering the rear seat was easier than the front buckets IMO. Most people disagree with me on that though. Mustang Monthly claimed the difficulty comes from the "complex curves." I laughed.

A couple of years ago I was setting up the retractable seat belts for my '65 and had to sit in the back seat to line everything up. There ain't much room in there!! I was sitting on the factory seat and my head was touching on the roof - and there was no roof lining.

So when it comes time to refurb the back seat, i'm going to get it as close to the floor as possible, and there's no room for a standard bucket base to do that. Maybe a race seat without the rails might work but I ain't gonna spent that kind of $$ for something that i'm not going to use.

I'm just coming up to starting the interior installation. Initially, i'm going to look at what foam's available these days - mightn't even need any steel frame or springs :shrug:

You could also possibly swap the standard or deluxe 1970 seats which are taller and nicer. Then use the standard or deluxe seats in the back from a 1969 since those were small buckets and the patterns were the same. I think that would be pretty neat to pull off. Don't know if it's possible though.