Custom power steering lines for 68

jcode68

Jul 15, 2003
Massachussetts
My power steering hoses are too close for comfort to the headers and want to run them under the engine mounts. I may be able to use the stock hoses for this, but was thinking about making custom hose to get the best fit. Does anyone know what fittings I would use to attach to the PS pump as well as to the control valve? Are they AN fittings or something special that I need to get from a hydraulic supply house? Also, anyone dealt with this issue that has suggestions/pics to post would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If you go to a hydraulic store they should be able to put together something for you. I know a couple of guys around me who have gotten their PS hoses made custom locally at one particular shop. Anyway, I believe the hose and fittings are similar to -AN but much higher rated. I believe a saw a section in RUSSELL catalog on PS hoses.

As previously suggested, if you go to a hydraulic hose supply shop they will fix you up. I ran into the same problem with my headers and had the hose lengthened. However you route it, make sure you have enough slack (at full turn to the left I believe) to not stress the metal portion of the hose that mounts to the control valve. Otherwise, after repeated minor bending you end up with a crack in the curved portion and fluid squirt everwhere. Been there done that. :(

When I installed a 5.0 with all the late model PS pump, I had the shop mate a late model hose (for the pump) to an early model hose (for the control valve). Has worked great for years.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about checking with a local hose shop, but I would still need the specs for the fittings in order for them to make the hose. I saw the stuff Russel has and figured I would go that route and make them myself, but again need to know what size fittings. Worst case, I guess I will just remove the hose and bring it to a shop. Anyone got some pics on how you routed and secured your lines?

FORCED2DV8 said:
I made several from braided line with AN fittings. Works great and no leaks,
Like others said a local hydraulic sullpy shop can make you some also...I have these for the auto trans...since higher pressure..

This is what I want to do also. What was the size of the AN fittings?

I took my pump down to the local race shop and found the correct fittings,
I think I used 3/8" braided line, with 90 degree elbows on one end, Theres a AN fitting that adapts it from yourpower steering box to the regular 3/8" AN fitting.