Daily Driver Won't Start - Help

five0h

Dec 15, 2002
Virginia
Hey guys…really need help on this one since it is my daily driver!

About a week or two ago I was starting to feel my car hiccup around the 3-3.5K RPM. It drove fine with little drivability problems, but one day my car started stumbling all down the road and would usually die when I took my foot off the gas. It became so bad and would stumble hard across the whole RPM range that I couldn’t drive it. I replaced a few things and then it would fire up..but would will still stumble and the car would shake like crazy. I went out today and the car won’t even turn over. I was hoping that you guys could give me some ideas of what could be the problem. Here is what I have done so far to cure the issue.

I first ran codes and the codes that turned up were 34 (fixed), 81,82, and 95 in both the first round of numbers and the second round of numbers. I then checked my fuel pressure and it was around 40PSI. I then checked for vacuum. I hooked my gauge up to the vacuum tree and I got a reading of 12. I didn’t know where to start so I started reading posts and trying to throw parts to possible reasons. I changed my fuel pressure regulator, cleaned out my IAC, cleaned my MAF, put the stock MAF back on, changed my EGR sensor (cured my code 34). I bumped my timing back to 10. Any ideas?? My fuel pump is pretty new 255 lbs Walbro. Not sure if maybe some of the wires in the pump are coming lose, but I am getting pressure so I am not sure. Also installed a new MSD coil a month or so ago.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

the problem is that you have to test stuff when it is running poorly. BTW, a stockish motor should pull 15-20 inches at vac (my SD car pulls 19.5"). hunt for leaks - the lines under the front of the upper crack very easily from all the heat.

i might put a jumper battery on it to get it to run. the puter needs proper voltage to function properly.

Jrichker's no start checklist will help ya with getting it to start (much more thorough and eloquent than i could try to hit in a post). print that thing up and go to town.

good luck bud.

parts stores should be able to test the TFI. but since it works intermittantly......not sure that would work.

Okay, so the problem now is that it won't start, getting it to start can help diagnose things better. Soooo... make sure you are getting spark, make sure all the wires to your coil are hooked up and everything is good as far as points on the cap and check the rotor.... all the quick stuff. I am wondering if the MAF has something to do with it, I have heard some stories with the C&L's but, it probably isn't that. Make sure the Cables to your battery are hooked up completely and the ground is good. I don't know try that and see where it gets ya.

Actually..not sure if it is carbon fouled or oil fouled. I don't see oil in the plug, but i see it in the grooves where you screw the plug in. They are accel plugs. Maybe they are the wrong type of plug. I have TFS Twisted heads.

five0h said:
I went out today and the car won’t even turn over.
either im really dumb or we have a lack of communication (ok ok, we know the former is true, so maybe we have both problems. :) ).

you said it wont turn over. do you mean it wont catch?
wont turn over - nothing happens, except maybe some clicking.

turns over - starter spins the motor, but it wont catch and idle on its own.

to help ya out, it would be cool to know what the problem is now, to further diagnose the other problem. :)

good luck.

ok. so it does turn over. cool. you had be going (why i talked about getting a jump start before). :)

if you have an inductive timing light, you can put it on a plug wire or 8 and see if they are firing. one can ground a plug wire too (leaving an air gap) and check for spark. i check spark first cuz i think it is easier.

i would really recommend searching for Jrichker's 'no start checklist'. it will really help ya out (it is systematic, so you just run down the list). good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
ok. so it does turn over. cool. you had be going (why i talked about getting a jump start before). :)

if you have an inductive timing light, you can put it on a plug wire or 8 and see if they are firing. one can ground a plug wire too (leaving an air gap) and check for spark. i check spark first cuz i think it is easier.

i would really recommend searching for Jrichker's 'no start checklist'. it will really help ya out (it is systematic, so you just run down the list). good luck.

Don't want to sound like an *** but i think you should follow his advise and spend a little less time posting......if you can find a more specific problem we can do a lot more to help :)