Danger...

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
Just a warning and a rant at the same time! Someone stole my credit card number, e-mail address, home address and even the numbers on the back of the credit card near my signature on the card. I think I've narrowed it down to one web site. Luckily, it was a minimal charge which will be credited to me. Someone used it three times in two months! Here's the rant part...I hope an elephant sits on this culprit's face :D !

• Sponsors (?)

oboebrian said:
Make sure you report this to all three credit bureaus as fast as possible. ID theft is a horrid thing to have happen. I hope this gets cleared up soon. Which website do you think was the culprit?

It was only about $100 worth of charges. One site issued a credit already and I have to wait to call the other site tomorrow morning when they open on Central Time. My bank has already canceled the card and will be sending a new one. The site that credited me will be launching a fraud investigation with the ip address of the purchases. I have a feeling it probably was some kid as the charges weren't very expensive. I suspect it was an inside job somewhere as they knew my code on the back of the credit card.

69 302/351c said:
Glad it didn't get too bad. I'm about to stop letting the waiter/waitress take my card back somewhere for 5 minutes or so. I just might tell them the card is not allowed out of my possesion.

I use my American Express for everything and check my statement on-line every coupla days.

I usually have a cash budget for the week, so as not to use plastic. There are times when I had to use it, so it narrowed it down to a couple of places where I think it happened. I stopped using a charge card a restaurants many years ago for the very reason you mentioned.