Dead spot on tip-in regardless of throttle speed; Holley 4150

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
This is something I have searched and read quite a lot about, but none of the 100+ articles, books, and threads I scoured directly addressed this. I even have the Haynes Holley rebuild/tuning book and it doesn't either.

Anyway, my mechanical 650dp wasn't holding a steady idle; it would slowly climb from ~600rpm cold and hang around 1000-1100 once it was fully warm. I baselined the butterflies and idle screws according to a post on here by IIRC D.Hearne because I thought maybe the transfer slots were open. The idle cleaned up a bit, but now there is dead spot right off idle. It's totally dead, especially on slow and medium tip-in speed. This leads me to think that it is not the accelerator system. If I slap the pedal down, it shoots past the dead spot and the car responds immediately.

Any recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

Take compressed air with the idle mixture screws out and shoot it in the holes. The idle circuit runs at idle, and ends right about tip in. Sometimes junk gets lodged in there that can't be removed with carb spray, causing it to go lean on one bank. Could explain the pump shot covering it.
See if the timing chagnes during warm up. Seen springs beome weak after warm up and advance the timing at idle. Could lock it out for a quick test.

Thanks. I'll try clearing out the idle circuits like you say. The carb was used and I put a rebuild kit in it, but I've always been suspicious that it could have problems later on. Fortunately I have another 650 and two 600dps to borrow parts from for troubleshooting.

The distributor is a rebuilt Duraspark that might have all of 5000 miles on it, so I kind of doubt that the springs are sacked out(unless they get reused[?]).

Yeah, I did that too. There again, I can very, very slowly apply the throttle and it will hit that dead spot and start stumbling. It even does it on engine braking. I can be on a slight downhill with my foot completely off the pedal and it's fine, but when I just breathe on the pedal I can hear it missing in the exhaust(Shelby-style side exits....under my seat).