Debating changing spark plugs in 98 GT

playboyroy

Aug 28, 2008
Well, new to this forum. I just purchased a 98 gt convertible with 52,000 miles. Some mornings i have a slight miss. So I was going to change plugs and wires. Everything is still orginal, so that makes everything 10 years old.

Bought 9mm ford racing wires and motorcraft plugs.

Looking the job. The driver side looks easy to do. The passenger side looks harder. Do I have to remove the fuel rail? So how is the easiest way to remove or get the passenger side parks. Remember I long spark plug wires with two coils.

My other question, what would a good shop charge me to change the plugs and wire?? It might easier to drop it off.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

its the piece of cake man.. you just have to take off the intake tube and the PVC valve on the passanger side and everything should be wide open.. the fuel rails can stay, when i first did mine i had some of the fuel injectors in the way so i sprayd a little wd40 on the top and bottom and just turned them to get the plug outta the way.

and we have aluminum heads on our cars so remember to not torque more then spec is ( i believe its 11-14 ft.lbs but double check me) they are easy to wreck.

Are those the ones, if I am not mistaken, that have more threads on them?

Yeah, those are the ones. The earlier ones with fewer threads on them were AWSF.

....but yes, I do believe they've changed the PN on them like bdcardinal stated. Although if you ask for them by their old number, any parts guy worth his salt should know what you're talking about.

FWIW though, I prefer the copper to the platinum plugs. They're cheaper and better performing for a daily driver. Platinum plugs are for those guys who are too lazy to perform a tune up every 60,000km. :D

I got the SP-432 from the local parts store.

Thanks for the all the info and reply. I think I am going to take the car to a shop. Just dont want to deal with it if something goes wrong. not worth it for me.

What kind of cost am I looking at to take it to a shop/dealer? What is the labor time for the repair?

Does anyone know how much a shop will charge me to change the plugs???

Honestly, just do it yourself. Beg, borrow or steal a spark plug socket, a 3/8 extension and ratchet if you have to and just change them out. It’s really not hard at all. So simple, a cave man could do it! A shop will most likely charge you an hours labor to do it, which will run anywhere from $60-$90/hour.

Have to thank everyone for their tips and support. I took the car to a shop. $200 laters car is complete.

A couple of sparks plugs had signs of arcing. not too bad for being orginal wires and plugs

I know I've could of done it but didn't want to risk it. Too funny that i went to college for automotive degree also.

When you pull off the COP's blow a little compressed air in the hole to get all the dust and dirt outta there. You don't want that falling into the combustion chamber when you take the plug out.

Yeah, those are the ones. The earlier ones with fewer threads on them were AWSF.

....but yes, I do believe they've changed the PN on them like bdcardinal stated. Although if you ask for them by their old number, any parts guy worth his salt should know what you're talking about.

FWIW though, I prefer the copper to the platinum plugs. They're cheaper and better performing for a daily driver. Platinum plugs are for those guys who are too lazy to perform a tune up every 60,000km. :D

Thanks for the info Brian--I am getting ready to give my ride a nice tune-up...been a while.