Debating The Block

Jamesrolls5point0

Oct 25, 2015
Im debating weather or not a Dart Block is really something I need - I know some people will say 1000% but ive literally built my collection of parts based on super deals and clearances and late night Craigslist runs
This car is currently NOT Assembled - as I am considering my block

A little about the car
Currently speed density - will swap to MAF
255 fuel pump
60 pound injectors -
Considering upgrading my fuel lines and rail , is it necessary???
Trick flow 170 heads with trick flow rockers in stock ratio , heads ported alittle
Trick flow upper and lower
75 mm throttle body and spacer fender mount cai (No Egr)
Currently the stock block and Pistons (forged ) car is 1988
Trick flow stage 1 cam
BBK ceramic long tubes 1 and 3/4 to 3 inch
3 inch high flow cats , borla exhaust
Tremec trans 3550 , light weight drive shaft
AC deleted
Smog deleted
Egr deleted (all sensors ️either replaced with duds - the fake resistance style or just no connected )

i haven't selected a Computer tuner I want to run , I've been searching but haven't decided yet,

I also just picked up a V3 SCI vortech kit and wish to install that as well 6-8 psi - will be running an intercooler too, maybe a meth kit

So my question is - Is this set up playing with fire with a stock block ? It's never been bored and has 56,000 miles on it , how much HP should I be around ? I don't have a goal in mind , im just letting my car make what's it's gonna make , I don't wanna blow this thing up

• Sponsors (?)

no one can tell you 100%. What I can say is this

• A lot has to do with how you tune it
  • A lot has to do with how much HP you tune it for
  • A lot has to do with how you match the parts
  • A lot has to do with how the parts are assembed
  • A lot has to do with how you drive it- will you spin it up to 6000 often

And, a lot has to do with luck. I've seen guys baby the car with 350rwhp and split the block. I've seen other beat the snot out of it with 500hp and the block lasted for years.

My 2 cents is this. I have a setup somewhat like yours. With the parts I installed I COULD HAVE easily had it tuned so I could have a 500rwhp dyno sheet. However, 420rwhp is plenty for me and I am in no hurry to have to buy a Dart block. Even then, I know it could be a crap shoot. These blocks were meant for 190rwhp and are very thin wall with 2 bolt mains.

Bottom line is- be prepared that you may need a Dart block and do not spend a lot of money on the internals for the short block. Save that for if/when you go with the Dart block.

I'll start by asking what else is done to the car.
There is a lot more to a fox than just a powerful engine.

I certainly wouldn't drop 4-6 grand on a shortblock if the suspension, brakes, trans, rear and tires aren't up to it.

450rwhp is a lot of power in 3200lb car with drum brakes, no traction control, no anti lock.
Set the boost for that number or less if the rest of the car isn't 100% complete.

If the car is complete other than the engine and you think you can add the dart block in economically and in a timely fashion, i'd say go for it.
And when I say timely, I mean don't let it keep you from driving or finishing the car for years.

600rwhp and up should be your goal to even consider the dart route.

Edit: I'd also like to add that to take real advantage of a dart block, your heads are under sized and the supercharger is probably too small.
Not going too far will also save you 2 grand on fuel system parts.

Last edited:
Damn so I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet with the dark block, I guess it doesn't make sense dumping money in to an old block that isn't meant for my intentions, sorry I failed to mention the other parts and it wasn't on my mind , however im running maximum Motorsports K member with the arms , same in the rear Bilstien shocks all way round, 350 pound springs in the coil overs - it's alittle more auto cross orientated then drag , trans is a 3550 , tires are 245 Toyos all way around - discs all around , stock gear ratio and spline - upgrading to 31 spline and may change the ratio

And I just seen the edit , Im not going for stupid power but I do hear what you're saying , most of this stuff I got for 1/2 to 1/3 the price so this is where my deals and offers have gotten me , I wish I could just buy everything easily but I'm not that lucky sadly lol

But anyways - so are you saying I should be fine with a stock block ??

It does sound like you are out of stuff to do. I know that feeling.

But at 450rwhp (some like 500rwhp as a max, but imo that's too close for comfort) you should be fine.
And that's the way I would leave it.

Going to the dart is going to magnify the cost of everything you do (assuming you want to take advantage of it).

Hmmmmm alright , I'll have to sleep on it , but I'll prob stay with the stock block if you guys think it will make it ... But I don't wanna shoot myself in the foot here , ugh the problem is one path is just so much more then the other lol , my luck has been pretty amazing - but I know the universe has a balance - I never beat in my cars and Ive never rev past 5500 when I had the stock motor - , however I did see what the first guy said about people breaking parts early , I do keep my car around 2500 rpm driving around and shift at 4000 as I love power on tap - this car never sees the track - it's staight recreation and some playful races with friends but do it OFF the street

Im figured 4500$ + - 500 for the dart if I do go that path , unless I get a good deal that is.....